electrical code

Old 07-27-00, 12:10 PM
Visiting Guest
I am trying to convert my house from two-wire to three-wire and the existing wire is a complete mess. I just wanted to know do I have to seperate the lighting circuits from the receptacles.

Old 07-27-00, 01:15 PM
Visiting Guest
No, you can intermix them however you want. It is commonly done both ways.

Many people like everything in one room (lights and outlets) to be on one circuit so you can easily turn off power to that room.

Other people like just the opposite -- light on one circuit and outlets on another. This second approach is done for two reasons (1) so that the whole room doesn't go dark at the same time if you blow the breaker, and (2) people hate to see the lights dim when they turn on the vacuum cleaner.

I've seen people wire lights in room A and outlets in room B on the same circuit, and vice versa. I've also seen people wire all lights on one circuit, and all outlets on another.

I'm sure sprky can chime in and say what he usually does, since he's a real electrician.

Old 07-27-00, 03:55 PM
Visiting Guest
hello mfuller,
im chiming in....lol.
i have wired homes both ways. i wire to what the home owner wants/ or think they want.
my own persional preference for new construction is to put 1 20 amp circuit per room for outlets,except the kitchen which requires more. and several 15 amp lighting circuits threwout the home. as to remodels every situation is deferent and i develap a plan based on what is being done.

Old 07-27-00, 07:27 PM
Visiting Guest
do not put all receps and lighting on one circuit in each room you need at least one recep to that room on different circuit so that if you should need it there is a source for power ,if not mistakenn i think new code requires at least one recep on separate breaker per room

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: