Ground

Old 07-26-02, 10:57 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ground

HELLO
MY DAUGHTER ASKED ME TO REPLACE HER BACK EXTERIOR WALL LITE WITH A MOTION SENSOR WHICH I'VE DONE AND IT WORKS WELL.
THER WAS NO GROUND WIRE COMING OUT OF THE WALL WHICH IS BRICK WITH AN ORNAMENTAL WOOD PLAQUE INSTALLED INTO THE BRICK.
HOW MUCH OF A DANGER EXISTS?
THE ONLY SOLUTION I CAN THINK OF (OTHER THAN LEAVING IT ALONE IF IT ISN'T A HAZARD) IS TO DRILL OUT THE WOODEN PLAQUE AND DIG FOR WIRE ///OR SEE IF I CAN TRACE THE WIRE FROM THE SWITH TO THE LITE AND RUN ? ROMEX 3=B+W+G
IF I HAD THE ANSWER I WOULDN'T BE HERE SO YOUR HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU
PETERR

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-02, 11:09 AM
S
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
Peterr,

If I am understanding you correctly the fixture that you installed is installed on top of wood and not mounted directly to a box is that correct?

Old 07-26-02, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A few ways to consider the answer.
First, many homes do not have three prong outlets for the same reason. Their light fixtures don't have a ground wire too. They have been around for a while without continuous accidents.
Second, there have been some occasions of electrocutions over time, hence the electric code now requires new homes to have ground conductors, in addition to the hot and neutral.
Third, if the fixture is high out of the way, then nobody will touch it and get electricuted if the hot happens to energize the fixture enclosure.
Fourth, is the box metal or the cable serving the box have a metal sheath? This might give you a method of getting a ground locally, if the cable is metallic.

Old 07-26-02, 11:30 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
FIXTURE SET UP

PICTURE A BRICK HOUSE EXERIOR WALL-IT HAS AN OUT DOORLIGHT ATTACHED TO IT-THE WAY IT IS ATTACHED = SOME ONE WANTED TO ATTACH THIS LGHT SO THEY POUNDED WALL ANCHORS THRU 4 DRILLED HOLES IN A ONE INCH THICK PLAQUE SO IT WOULD BE EASIER TO WORK ON WOOD THAN BRICK. NOW WHEN I TOOK OFF THE OLD FIXTURE THERE WAS A RED AND A WHITE WIRE STICKING OUT BY ONLY ABOUT 2 INCHES. IT WAS OUGH TO WIRE NUT BUT IT RUNS NICELY.
OES THIS HELP

Old 07-26-02, 11:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most of the motion lights are plastic these days anyway,, I dont think its something I would personally lose any sleep over if it wasnt grounded.