Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Trouble Replacing Electrical Outlet with extra (red) wire.

Trouble Replacing Electrical Outlet with extra (red) wire.

Old 07-27-02, 07:21 PM
J
Jim Locigno
Visiting Guest
Question Trouble Replacing Electrical Outlet with extra (red) wire.

I just recently bought a house built in 1968 and and am slowly replacing most of the electrical outlets. I'm not great with wiring but can at least mimic what was already done. Most of the outlets are simple to replace however, I have run into two out lets that have an extra (usually red) wire

Viewed from the back: The wiring of the current exisitng
outlet is:
[code]
(x) White (x) Red

(x) White (x) Black (x) Black
[/code]

The (x) corresponds to the "hole" you push the wire in.

I am confused because the replacement outlets I have only have
4 holes in the back. I don't know what to do with the extra wire. The replacement outlets not only have four holes but they have four screw terminals - do I put the extra black wire on the screw terminal or what? Or do I have to get a different kind of outlet for this wiring scheme?

Thanks for your help.
Jim Locigno

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-02, 10:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The outlets that I recommend are the ones from home depot. They come in a variety of colors..they are made by lutron...I believe...anyway...they have 5 screw terminals---2 brass, 2 silver and one green.

In the scenario that you describe, the red refers to the hot load in your system. The wires on the left(white) go to the screw terminals on the left side of the outlet. Your extra black wire is not extra at all, but merely a connection to another outlet. Take the two black wires on the right side, and twist them together and connect via a wire nut. Then take a 2-3 inch extra piece of black wire and connect to the same wire nut, and then to the empty screw on the outlet. You have now completed the circuit.

White-top left
White -bottom left
Red-Top right
Black to black-wire nut, then extra piece of black to bottom right.

Good luck

Old 07-28-02, 04:13 AM
J
Jim Locigno
Visiting Guest
Wiring Issues

Jasontv8:

Thanks very much for your reply. I will try that soon. Excuse my ignorance here but I need some clarification:

1) When you say the "extra" black wire is a connection to another outlet - I take it you mean totally different than one I working on right? If so, what is the point of someone wiring somthing like that?

2) When you say take an extra piece of black wire - does that mean I have get some extra black wire at home depot or do I use what's already there in some form?

Thanks
Jim Locigno

Old 07-28-02, 04:30 AM
W
Wirenut33
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Re: Wiring Issues

Originally posted by Jim Locigno
Jasontv8:

Thanks very much for your reply. I will try that soon. Excuse my ignorance here but I need some clarification:

1) When you say the "extra" black wire is a connection to another outlet - I take it you mean totally different than one I working on right? If so, what is the point of someone wiring somthing like that?

2) When you say take an extra piece of black wire - does that mean I have get some extra black wire at home depot or do I use what's already there in some form?

Thanks
Jim Locigno

Jim,
It sounds like you may have split-wired receptacles in these locations. By that, i mean that you may have a duplex receptacle with one half constantly hot, and the other half controlled by a switch. If this is the case, here's what you need to do. Connect your neutral, or white wires as you normally would on any other receptacle. Take the two black wires and create a pigtail using another short piece of black wire, and connect the pigtail to one of the brass terminals on the receptacle. On the "hot" side of the receptacle, you will see that the two brass terminals are connected by a tab. You will need to break this tab out with a pair of pliers, and then connect the red wire to the other brass terminal. This is what splits the receptacle. You do not need to seperate the neutrals in this fashion. Verify that the power is off before attempting the replacement by testing across one of the neutrals and each individual hot wires.

Old 07-28-02, 05:12 AM
J
Jim Locigno
Visiting Guest
Wiring Issues

Jasontv8:

Thanks
Jim Locigno

Old 07-28-02, 05:51 AM
G
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Either that or power to this one. There are apparently two
cable going into this box, a 2 wire (WHT/BLK), and a 3 wire
(WHT/BLK/RED). It appears the the BLK feeds through, on one
half of the receptacle with red on the other half.

More than likely go buy some. Do not take any from existing
wiring.

An important note, if the outlets are the type where the wire is held
in the back hole by friction (as opposed to having to tighten a screw), avoid using the rear holes, known as backstabs, as
they are fraught with troubles. Use the screws, or the backwire
type which the screw tightens a plate on the wire.