3 way switch confusion??

Old 08-02-00, 02:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I am trying to replace the light switches in my hallway to the big fat flat switch. There is one light and a switch at each end of my hall so you can turn on or off the light on whatever end of the hallway you are at. I have 3 wires, 2 black and 1 red. On these fat switches I have 4 screws..2 brass, 1 black and 1 green. I have been able to get one switch to work but not the other even though I think I have the same color wiring the same on both. These new switches are 3-way. Here is the combination that I got the one switch to work: red-brass, black-brass & black-black. How can I get both of my switches to work? I am female & confused!

Old 08-02-00, 03:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Look into the box and find which black wire is coming into the box in the same cable as the red wire, and connect them to the brass colored screws (one to each), and the
other black to the black screw. The green screw will connect to your ground wire.

Old 08-02-00, 03:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Does the switch that works only work when the other switch is in one particular position? If so, you probably have the black wires interchanged on one or both of the two switches. Try interchanging the black wires on one, then the other, then both. (If you use a voltmeter, you could reduce this work; but you can do it without a volt meter by this trial and error).

If one of these changes makes both switches work, you may find that the light is on only when both switches are up, or both down. Although this works, it isn't natural (i.e., light should be on only when one switch is up and the other down). So if you get this, you should interchange the wires on the two brass screws on one of the two switches (doesn't matter which).

Let us know how it came out.

Old 08-02-00, 04:25 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Laura,
here is 2 links to web sites that deal with 3 way switches they will probily help u understand what every 1 is saying and why both switches wount work. http://www.howstuffworks.com/three-way.htm http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/courses/p230/switches.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: