220 reduced to 110

Old 08-02-00, 06:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

This is a two part question. there is a 220 outlet that is no longer used and it it run to a breaker. I want to use this space to put in 2 seperate 110 breakers. Is that possible or do I have to use this breaker and break it down to 110? I think that I need to put in the 2 seperat breakers but I am not sure. And the other thing I would like to know is How do you take a 220 and break it down to 110? what I want to do is have a box that has a 110 outlet and a 220 outlet in it and I plug the other end (male end) into a 220 outlet. A pigtail is what I have heard it called at times too, Is that a proper term or is that just a laymen term? Thanks.

Old 08-02-00, 11:33 AM
Visiting Guest
What you are describing sounds like two different things to me. First, if you want 110 on an outlet that was wired for 220 you can probably do that. If the outlet has 3 wires plus ground, then you can use the neutral wire and one hot to get 110. Or, if the outlet has 2 wires plus ground you would just use one for hot and the other for neutral. In either case I would put in a single pole breaker.

The second part of you question seems to want to get both 220 and 110 from the same source. That is possible if it is a 3 wire plus ground setup. Again, just use one hot and neutral to obtain 110, and use both hots to obtain 220. In this case you would definitely want to maintain the double pole breaker so that an overload on the 110 side would trip the whole circuit off. It's not safe to have one half of a 220 trip independantly.

Old 08-02-00, 02:41 PM
Visiting Guest
If the outlet is greater than 20A,reduce the
breaker size to 20A or less.

If the 220 supply for this 220/110 cord is greater than 20A you will need a circuit breaker to protect the 110 load at 20 or
less. If it is a light load, you can use
a 220>110 transformer.

Old 08-02-00, 03:41 PM
Visiting Guest
hello ric,
if im understanding this right u r wanting a 110 as well as a 220 in the same box both derived from the same breaker.
if this is indead what u r wanting to do you can not legaly do this, according to the nec u may not tap 1 leg of a 220 circuit for 110.

if my wife is understanding correctly u r wanting to split a 220 into 2 110's with no 220, if this is waht u r wanting to do then this is how u do it, provided this is a 3 wire circuit(red,black,white,bare).
in your panel install 2 20 amp or 2 15 amp breakers, connect the red to 1 breaker and black to other. in box double pigtail (2 small pieces of wire aprox 7" long wirenutted to another wire to produce 2 ends to connect to a device)the nutural(white wire). connect the white pigtails to the silver screws of outlets, connect the black to 1 recep and red to other recep. double pigtail the bare and connect to the green screw of recepts.
now if this 220 is a 2 wire circuit(black,white,bare) then u cant produce 2 120s from it only 1
hetre is what u need to do for this install a 15 or 20 amp breaker in panel. connect the balck to the breaker, white to the nutural bar and bare to the ground bar. in outlet box connect the black to the silver screw and black to the gold, bare to the green.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: