Light shock

Old 08-01-00, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I just installed a new outdoor disconnect for the a/c unit. this is a new mobile home. inside panel is grounded to frame and from there to a 6' ground rod. I put a 60 amp breaker in and connected ground wire 6/2 romex to ground block in panel.Do I need to ground the metal disconnect box on side of home to ground?

Old 08-01-00, 02:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I'm not an electrician, but I have replaced my AC disconnect box twice over the years, and the pro electrician who put it in had it grounded to panel only, so that's the way I did it. If the code is different now, I'm sure that sprky, lefty, or one of the other pros in here will straighten me out. lol Good Luck!

Old 08-01-00, 02:38 PM
Visiting Guest
If you hooked up the ground on the power feed cable, the ac disconnect is grounded thru the main distribution box. You do notneed or want to drive a ground rod just for the disconnect switch. Two or more ground rods grounded at different locations create circulating currents.

Old 08-01-00, 04:47 PM
Visiting Guest
pilly is that disconnect itself grounded back to panel or did you just run a ground through it to your ac unit ? the disconnect should be grounded by using the same ground wire going to ac unit.Now for a question why if this isa new mobile are you replacing the disconnect everything should be warranted for at least a year and do you get a shock or something around this unit

Old 08-01-00, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Philly622:

I think the guys are right on here. Make sure the disconnect enclosure is attached to the bare ground in the 6/2 romex. That would be it's grounding connection. You did connect to the ground bar in the panel, not the nuetral right? These homes have a 4 wire system where nuetral and ground are isolated from one another. I say this only because a lot of guys are used to bonding the two in the main panel. Good luck with your project! Let us know how you make out. Pete.

Old 08-02-00, 09:24 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by doc:
pilly is that disconnect itself grounded back to panel or did you just run a ground through it to your ac unit ? the disconnect should be grounded by using the same ground wire going to ac unit.Now for a question why if this isa new mobile are you replacing the disconnect everything should be warranted for at least a year and do you get a shock or something around this unit<HR>

Old 08-02-00, 09:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Doc, this is a new home, but I am required to run supply and disconnect box for a/c. When the a/c man was touching the box he was getting a light shock. We later found that when the two halves of the double wide were moved together, a wire feeding the bedroom was pinched and feeding thru frame. breaker was killed and no more shocks.

Old 08-02-00, 04:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Pilly then by all means get the mfg of that home back out there and make them replace or repair that wire properly have a son his home burned about a year and a half ago because of shoddy wiring in it the mfg used everything in the world to keep blame off them until a forsenic expert was brought in and by accident we found out that 5 more had burnednow another question did you say an electrician was out there if so he should have known how to wire this correctly

Old 08-02-00, 04:18 PM
Visiting Guest
ok see it is not electrician ,now if you have a panel outside by your meter and there is a breaker in it that kills power to the home then that is yourt main panel and the panel inside your home is a sub panel make sure that grounds {green or bare wires } or separate from the white wires and the ground bare or green wire from the ac unit is with the other green or bare wires. Now if there is no breaker in a panel by itself before going into the home then the bare green and white wires would be on same block, make sure this is wired right as mobiles or not wired like a site home

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: