electrical wiring

Old 07-29-02, 04:32 AM
G
GiveMeLight
Visiting Guest
electrical wiring

My light switch does'nt turn on my basement lights anymore. I tested the voltage at the lighting socket. The meter read (38). I expected a 110 reading. What does this mean?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 04:38 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How did you test the socket. On both sockets leads or one wire and to ground?

Old 07-29-02, 07:17 AM
J
A wire got disconnected somewhere. You are reading phantom voltage. The switch itself is a likely spot for the disconnect. Turn off the breaker and check the connections at the switch. Move any backstab connections to the adjacent screws, and make sure all wire nuts are tight. If this still show no improvement, then shut off the breaker again and temporarily bypass the switch by connecting together the two wires connected to the switch (not counting ground). If the light then works, replace the switch. If it still doesn't work, then you'll have to look elsewhere on the circuit for the disconnect.

Old 07-29-02, 07:28 AM
P
Check for a blown fuse or a tripped circuit-breaker.Then eliminate the problem of a defective wall switch by connecting a new switch.This is a MUST for a DIYer-a few $$$ can save you much time and effort. Please report back-thanks and Good Luck!!!

Old 07-30-02, 05:27 PM
G
GiveMeLight
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by weebee
How did you test the socket. On both sockets leads or one wire and to ground?
I tested on one wire and the ground. Also after I received your help, I tested at the switch and got a normal reading. So I went to Home Depot and bought a new switch. I installed it, and now I have lights. THANKS

Old 07-30-02, 05:36 PM
G
GiveMeLight
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by PATTBAA
Check for a blown fuse or a tripped circuit-breaker.Then eliminate the problem of a defective wall switch by connecting a new switch.This is a MUST for a DIYer-a few $$$ can save you much time and effort. Please report back-thanks and Good Luck!!!
My wall switch turned out to be defective. I changed it, now I have lights. THANKS ALOT

Old 07-30-02, 05:42 PM
G
GiveMeLight
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by John Nelson
A wire got disconnected somewhere. You are reading phantom voltage. The switch itself is a likely spot for the disconnect. Turn off the breaker and check the connections at the switch. Move any backstab connections to the adjacent screws, and make sure all wire nuts are tight. If this still show no improvement, then shut off the breaker again and temporarily bypass the switch by connecting together the two wires connected to the switch (not counting ground). If the light then works, replace the switch. If it still doesn't work, then you'll have to look elsewhere on the circuit for the disconnect.
You were right. The wall switch turned out to be defective. I replaced it . Now the lights work. THANKS!