dimmer switch

Old 07-29-02, 09:09 AM
peven
Visiting Guest
dimmer switch

I have replaced a regular ON/OFF switch with a ON/OFF/dimmer switch. I have noticed that the front metal plate is getting hot to the touch. Is this normal for dimmer switches or do I have a defective one? ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Old 07-29-02, 11:18 AM
MTgets
Visiting Guest
dimmmers getting warm is normal, but not so hot you cant touch it, the dimmer is problbly not defective, you may have to many watts on the the light bulbs, add up the wattage on the light bulbs that are controlled by the dimmer and see if it is more than the dimmer is rated for.

Old 07-29-02, 11:21 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
"hot" is a relative term. If it is only "warm", then it is probably normal. But if it is "hot" then you could have a problem -- if you hold your fingers on the faceplate, does the pain force you to remove them. Several possibilities:
  • You have too many watts of lighting for this dimmer and you need one rated for more watts.
  • The box is too small to adequately hold the dimmer and associated wires, and you have overcrowded the box.
  • You installed more than one dimmer in the same box, and didn't read the instructions about the potential problems with doing that.
  • You bought too cheap of a dimmer.

Old 07-29-02, 11:44 AM
peven
Visiting Guest
Thanks all for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: