Connecting an Existing switched outlet to a ceiling fan.

Old 07-29-02, 01:58 PM
T
tesbeck
Visiting Guest
Connecting an Existing switched outlet to a ceiling fan.

I currently have a switched outlet than is powered by a 14-3 wire. I am not sure of how that wire continues on, there are 3 other outlets located in the room and I don't want to accidentally break the circuit to the other outlets. I have installed a ceiling fan in the room and would like to unswitch the outlet and put in a new fan switch that operates the ceiling fan. I have a 14-3 wire run from the ceiling fan that I have not tied into the power or switch yet. I have purchased a hampton bay fan switch that operates both the light and fan with a dimmer and speed control in one switch. What is the proper metod to "unswitch the outlet and utilize this wire for my cieling fan/switch combo?

Thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 09:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are several reasons to see 14/3 wire in a switched receptacle. You have to figure out which of these situations you have:[list=1][*]Either the black or the red is carrying the switched hot, and the other is carrying the unswitched hot, and the white is neutral.[*]This receptacle is controlled by a pair of 3-way switches, and two of these wires are travelers.[*]The black or red carries unswitched power to the switch and the other carries switched power back.[/list=1]You can usually figure out which one you have by careful examination of all the wires and connections at the switch. Can you tell us everything you see in the switch box?

Old 07-31-02, 04:41 PM
T
tesbeck
Visiting Guest
When I look at the switch box there are the following:

1. 4 wires, consisting of 1, 14-3 and 3 14-2.
2. All the whites are connected in a bundle, all the blacks are connected in a bundle, the black from the 14-3 goes to the bundle then to the switch, the red from the 14-3 goes to the switch. The three other wires exit the box to other parts of the room I assume.

At the outlet I see the following:

1. The outlet tab is broken on one side with the black on the top and the red on the bottom from the 14-3 wire.
2. The other side of the outlet does not have the tab broken and the white goes into the top from the 14-3 wire.
3. The ground is connected.
4. I have another outlet in the room which just has a white and black connected to it, but it also has a 14-3 wire coming into the box and it has the red wire connected to a black wire.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 07-31-02, 06:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It was all clear until you got the the part about "another outlet in the room." I didn't understand any of that, and I'm not sure it has anything to do with this problem. So I'm just going to ignore that information.

So back to the first outlet you discussed.

The top half is obviously unswitched, and the switch controls the bottom half.

I hope you ran the 14/3 from the ceiling to the switch box, and not to the receptacle box. Otherwise, change it to go to the switch box. The biggest problem you are going to have is that the switch box is going to get really crowded, probably illegally so. If possible, replace the switch box with a larger box.

Making the receptacle unswitched is easy, and is independent of your other change.

First, disconnect and remove the old switch. Then add the red wire to the wire nut with all the black wires. You may need a larger wire nut. This will make both halves of the receptacle unswitched. There are other ways to do this, but that would require rewiring or replacing the receptacle.

Now install your new switch according to directions. The pigtail that comes off the bundle of black (and now one red) wires will connect to the power in of your fancy switch. The red and black of the new 14/3 will connect to the other two connections of the fancy switch (follow directions). The white of the 14/3 will connect to the other white wires in the switch box. At the ceiling, follow the fan manufacturer's instructions.