Stripping SEC

Old 07-30-02, 01:14 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Stripping SEC

Well, Thursday is the day I'll be ripping out my breaker box and replacing it with a model that has room for more circuits.

I'm going to the city tomorrow to get the permit and will speak to the inspector about what he wants to see in there. I'm really feeling good about working with him and having someone check over my work, even though I do feel that this is a pretty straightfoward task.

My simple question here is: what's the best way to strip 2-0 service entrance cable? I think I'm going to have to replace it as the new box is physically larger and will have a longer run to the main lugs.

If anyone has any tips for me on replacing the breaker box, I'd love to hear 'em. I got a Homeline 200 amp 30 space 40 circuit to replace my Cutler Hammer 200 amp 26 space split bus.

I really do think it's a simple matter of labelling all the wires, drawing a picture of what was where, taking the old stuff out, putting the new stuff in, and using the labels and the picture to hook it all up again. I know I need to be careful and methodical and thorough, but I don't see any major problems ahead. Of course, any insight from the experienced folk here is greatly appreciated.

-Noggin

Old 07-30-02, 08:09 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Before you start this project open you existing 26 space 200 amp panel door and see if the panel legend speaks of circuits that are 1, 3, 5, 7 etc or 1a, 1b, 3a, 3b, 5a, 5b, etc. You may be replacing one brand 200 amp panel that will accept 40 circuits using 1/2 sized breaker with a different brand panel that will accept the same 40 circuits using a couple of less 1/2 sized breakers.

You may be wasting your money thinking your are enlarging the number of branch circuits when both panels will accept the same number of branch circuits.

To strip SE cable try using a box knife with a roofing or box knife hooked blade.

If you want much more info on installing a service try the following link;

http://www.homewiringandmore.com/hom...ter/meter.html

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 07-31-02, 09:14 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Wgoodrich
You may be wasting your money thinking your are enlarging the number of branch circuits when both panels will accept the same number of branch circuits.

To strip SE cable try using a box knife with a roofing or box knife hooked blade.
Thanks for the input!

The current box won't accept tandem breakers. It's the Cutler Hammer series with 3/4 inch breakers and the tan levers. I checked around and tandem (skinny, double, whatever) breakers don't exist for this series of panel.

Got the building permit today. So now, I'm not just dangerous-- I'm LEGAL and dangerous!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: