finished attic receptacles

Old 07-30-02, 03:09 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb finished attic receptacles

I have a 2 1/2 story home with finished attic. Since I just put a central heating and cooling system on third floor, wondering if I could use that circuit to run a few receptacles ( only fan on unit runs on this circuit). Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-02, 08:05 AM
S
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
It sounds like you are asking if you can split the circuit that feeds the air handler to run your receptacle circuit.

If that is what you are asking then the answer is an emphatic NO!! The NEC requires that the air conditioning has it's own circuit and it is a violation of the code to split that circuit. Not to mention the fact that most air handlers are 240v units with no neutral present, so there would be no way to access a neutral for those new receptacles. The other question would be that of overcurrent protection, the wiring for the receptacles would be smaller, most likely, than the wiring for the air handler and you would need protection for those smaller circuit conductors.

Why not run a new line for the receptacles from a panel that is nearby, provided that you have the space in that panel to add this circuit.