bathroom outlets

Old 08-09-00, 07:51 PM
Visiting Guest
I plan to install GFCI outlets in my two bathrooms. There are no outlets now except
on the lights. Do I have to run a separate circuit for each outlet? I was planning to feed both outlets from one circuit.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-00, 10:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Current NEC requires that you run a seperate circuit for each of those outlets. (The outlets in EACH bathroom have to be on their own, dedicated circuit) While you're at it, change those old light fixtures to ones that don't have the outlets in them.

Old 08-10-00, 10:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Leftys reply must be based on an older code, possibaly the 1996 NEC? If your area has adopted the 1999 NEC, you are allowed to run a 20amp circuit to feed the outlets in as many bathrooms as you want to. A word of caution, tho. If you install one GFCI receptacle in, say, an upstairs bathroom, and you run the downstairs bathroom outlet off this one, if you are in the downstairs bathroom, and the GFCI trips, you will have to run all the way upstairs to reset it. Safety issue, no, but an inconvience none the less. Might be a good idea to install GFCI receptacles in each bathroom. Good luck