Wiring plug molding

Old 08-01-02, 07:12 PM
Z
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
Wiring plug molding

I have a 10-outlet Plugmold multioutlet assembly that I purchased for my garage workbench. The instructions that came with it are pretty much useless, as is Wiremold's website (www.wiremold.com). It appears to have 12 awg wiring internally, and I'm using 12 awg externally as well (from an electrical box ~1 foot away). Thing is, I can't figure out how to permanently wire it up and fit all the wirenuts into a ~1" space at either end of the strip.

Anyone have any experience with this product? Any suggestions, or even alternatives? This is the last thing I have to do to finish rewiring the basement/garage of my house, and it's frustrating to be stopped at this point.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-02, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long is the conductors coming out of the plug mold strip? Is it long enough to put a section of wiremold to interconenct the plugmold and your junction box? Then the wire nuts will be in the junction box (plenty of room, right?).

Old 08-02-02, 04:56 AM
Z
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
The plugmold itself only has about 1" from the last socket to the end of the molding. The wires are about 2.5" long (they're folded over in the plugmold).

The problem is, the outlet box isn't next to the molding. It's nowhere close, and I couldn't mount it close enough if I tried. Besides which, the wires in the plugmold don't have any kind of protective cover like Romex does - they're 3 individual wires with insulation only. I'm pretty sure that running them outside would violate code.

As an aside, I'm very disappointed with this product. The instructions are contained on a single piece of paper, not even 8.5x11, in 3 different languages, and with pictures describing installation that are patently impossible to actually do. I'll certainly avoid purchasing any future products from Wiremold based off this one.

Old 08-02-02, 05:01 AM
How about placing a wiremold type junction box at the end of the plugmold, in addition to the regular junct box you have 1' away. This way you can make wire nut conenctions in the box immediately adjacent to the plugmold then extend to where you want to go..

Old 08-02-02, 06:34 AM
S
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
When using Plugmold it is difficult but not impossible to make the connections inside of the Plugmold.
The plugmold that you purchased should have come with a cover that is designed to fit over a junction box. That is the way that this equipment is intended to be used. If the box is not close enough and you can't move it then you will have to relocate the plugmold itself. If that's a problem then you may have to purchase a plugmold that is longer than the one that you currently have, one that is long enough to reach that box.
Wiremold does manufacture end fittings for your plugmold that will allow you to run a piece of flex or AC cable from the outlet box to the plugmold.
You are having problems because you are missing the pieces for your particular installation. Also, you can make joints inside of the plugmold. You will need to purchase YELLOW wire nuts as they take up less room than the red wire nuts and you will have to cut the conductors to different lengths so that all of the joints don't fall at the same place in the plugmold. If you do that, then you will be able to fold the joints over and they will lay down quite nicely.
Installing plugmold requires a great deal of patients until you get used to do it.
Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Old 08-02-02, 07:13 AM
P
Use insulated crimp sleeves for connecting the WM leads to external leads-this makes a neat "in-line" connection.You could set the connection end of the WM strip inside a Wiremold box.This requires cutting a neat rectangular hole the dimensions of the WM strip in the side of the WM box.All garage receptacles should be GFI protected. If you use a deep WM box for the WM strip connection you can set a GFI receptacle in the deep WM box.-----Does the WM strip have a Green Grounding Conductor?---Good Luck!!!

Old 08-02-02, 11:48 AM
Z
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies everyone...

The box that will feed the plugmold is higher up than the molding itself -- so no matter how long I make the molding, it's never going to get there Plus, excluding additonal extention pieces, this is already the longest single piece that Wiremold makes.

The plugmold didn't come with a cover, just the molding itself. Looking at the HD/Lowe's sites, I see the covers, but I don't think they'll work for my install. I also see what appears to be an end molding that allows me to run 1/2" romex to the molding, and I'll be checking into that this weekend. Hopefully it'll solve the problem. I do have yellow wire nuts as well, and was planning to use them, but even they were going to be too big. I'll also look into insulated crimp sleeves, although I'm not familiar with the term. Hopefully someone at HD/Lowe's will know, or the adapter I mentioned will fit the bill.

The plugmold does have a green grounding wire, and the run will be GFCI protected (the outlet feeding the plugmold will be the GFCI outlet actually). There's a couple of non-GFCI outlets in the garage, but they were original to the house and are non-accessible anyway (2 on the ceiling for garage door openers, one behind the water heater, and one that is now behind a very large storage unit). I've intentionally made sure that the GFCI outlets were accessible for reset and safety purposes.

Again, thanks Ron, Sparks, and Pattbaa - hopefully I'll have everything straightened out tomorrow morning!