Wiring Garage

Old 08-12-00, 08:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Getting ready to bury some wires for my garage. Gonna run 10/3uf out to garage. Can I bury 2 lengths of 10/3 and a length of 12/3 all in the same trench? I'm putting in one 220 20 amp outlet with one line, then a subpanel for lights and outlets with the other line. 12/3 is for three way switch for outside lights to be turned on from house or garage. Also can I put all these in 2" conduit to make it easier for future changes? If so can I run a phone line in the same conduit as the electric wires? The wire in the conduit would still be uf wire because I already bought it. Thanks for the help!

[This message has been edited by Magoo (edited August 13, 2000).]

Old 08-13-00, 06:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Do not put the phone line in the same conduit as the power.

Because of the number of branch circuits you are running to the garage, you are required to install a disconnect, and a grounding electrode, at the garage.

I have a better idea, why not run a 50amp circuit out to garage, install the same sub-panel, and run your branch circuits out of this? You could still run your 3-wire for your 3-way switches, as the switches qualify as a disconnect.

If you don't follow this, get ahold of a DIY book at your local lumber yard, or ask an electrician.

Hope this helps. RM

Old 08-13-00, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes it helps. Thanks RM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: