Electrical wiring size?

Old 08-02-02, 07:19 AM
Terry Alexander
Visiting Guest
Question Electrical wiring size?

I have a 30x40 metal building. Vision this as being in 4 quadrants. I want to run outlets and florescent lights ( 4 each 4' lights) to each quadrant.

In each quadrant, I will have the outlets on 1 circuit and the lights on another.

In intend to use 12/2 wire for the outlets (power saws, drills, etc).

My question is: Can I use 14/2 for the florescent lights? When running wire to the most distant quadrant, you will have about 50' of wire before it hits the first light (conduit, up over and around...you get the picture). I don't know the specifics about voltage drops and am not sure if this is a concern.

TIA

Terry A.

Old 08-02-02, 07:39 AM
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
Yes, you can use 14/2 for the fixtures as long as you don't exceed the capacity of the circuit. And the distance that you have to travel to the lights will not be any kind of factor.
Your plan sounds fine.

Old 08-02-02, 10:22 AM
Terry Alexander
Visiting Guest
When does distance become a factor?

Originally posted by Sparksone42
Yes, you can use 14/2 for the fixtures as long as you don't exceed the capacity of the circuit. And the distance that you have to travel to the lights will not be any kind of factor.
Your plan sounds fine.
I read a lot of "stuff" on a lot of boards and it "appears" that there is a concern about the length of runs. I am just wondering from your response as to when would the length become an issue?

TIA for the speedy reply!

TerryA

Old 08-02-02, 10:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
See this thread for some voltage drop information.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...ight=volt+drop
For such a small building lights on 14 awg is ok, be sure it is protected by a 15 amp breaker.

Old 08-02-02, 11:00 AM
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
In my experience, we use the general rule that if the distance does not exceed 125', give or take a few feet, that voltage drop is not an issue.
The only time that we disregard this rule is if the load that we are placing on the circuit is an extremely large load and one that is sensitive to voltage.
As I stated, your plan sounds fine!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: