Electrified garage door

Old 08-13-00, 12:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a small problem. My garage door opener is electrifying the garage door tracks, springs and other related hardware. Voltage tester shows just shy of 120V. It's a newer opener (Craftsman) and the voltage tester goes to zero if I unplug the opener. Any one run into this before (FYI-The electrical in the garage is less than a year old - previous owners had it gutted and updated and it all tests clean) Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-00, 01:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Disconnect your power and get another opener.
That one has a big short in it. You have a dangerous situation there. Even if your opener is new, that does not mean it is ok.

Old 08-13-00, 07:15 PM
Visiting Guest
There may be a problem with the outlet. It may have the wiring installed incorrectly. Buy one of those cheap polarity plug-in type testers, to see if you have any problems in the outlet. Sounds to me like the ground and the hot wire may be reversed on the outlet. If the wiring is correct, do what jack recommends.

RM

Old 08-13-00, 10:57 PM
Visiting Guest
The outlet checks out for proper polarity and grounding (and I even used 2 different testers). I was afraid that the unit was shorting out. I doubt it is cost effective to repair. Thanks for the advice. PS-Jack - I unplugged the unit after the track shocked my sweaty hand the other day. Didn't feel like going through that little jolt again. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: