ceiling fan

Old 08-05-00, 06:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am installing a ceiling fan in a room which has a light connected to light switch. In addition there are also two outlets in the room. I took off the lamp,and the white wire was installed on the terminals. The black wires spliced together. Should I splice the white wire from the jb and cf together, and the black wires from the jb and the blk and blu from the cf together?

Old 08-05-00, 09:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Tom, if the lite was controled by the wall switch and had two white wires connected to it, one of those whites is the neutral and the other is the power from the switch. You will need the neutral for both the fan and the lite. You can use the switched power (from the switch for the lite -- connect the blue wire to that. Then connect the black wire for the fan to the two black wires that are spliced together. These should be constant power. Should work.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by tom s:
I am installing a ceiling fan in a room which has a light connected to light switch. In addition there are also two outlets in the room. I took off the lamp,and the white wire was installed on the terminals. The black wires spliced together. Should I splice the white wire from the jb and cf together, and the black wires from the jb and the blk and blu from the cf together?<HR>

Old 08-07-00, 06:36 PM
Visiting Guest
hello tom,
what u have there is power in the light. reasion u have 2 whites on the light is some 1 didnt connect the white to the power to feed the switch. u will need to determin the switch loop. undo the blacks that r wirenutted together, and useing a tester test between the black and white of 1 set of romex if u get a reading this is power, and other set is switch loop. now marl the white of switch loop with black tape connect it to the black of powera. now simply connect white to white of fan/light, blue of fan/light to the black as well as the black of fan/light. if u pefer to have fan on full hot and use the pull chain connect the blue to power.

Old 08-14-00, 05:02 AM
Visiting Guest
I think there is some confusion on the replies. there is a single wht wire that has been cut and screwed on the the terminals of the light fixture. There is a wht wire and a blk wire on the light switch.

[This message has been edited by tom s (edited August 17, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: