Changing a wall outlet with a wall switch

Old 08-14-00, 04:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I changed a wall outlet because it would not hold a plug firmly. I bought a very simple plug and replaced it exactly as the previous one was wired. When I turned the breaker back on, the outlet worked but the wall switch did not. Prior to my change the wall switch worked for the top half of all the outlets in the room. The bottom halves were not switch dependant. I put the old plug back in and the wall switch worked normally. Is there a special type of replacement outlet that I should have gotten? I'm positive that I had the wires all put in the correct order.
Thanks for any feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-00, 06:57 AM
Visiting Guest
When you say that the switch did not work, I assume you are saying that all the top halves are hot regardless of the position of the switch.

Most duplex outlets are constructed so that you can, at the time of installation, change them from the ordinary to the two-circuit variety, by breaking out a small brass portion between the two hot terminal screws. You didn't do this, but you need to. Compare the old outlet and the new outlet carefully. You'll see that the new outlet has a solid piece of metal connecting the top and bottom. Make the new outlet look like the old outlet.

Let us know how it comes out.

Old 08-14-00, 07:42 AM
Visiting Guest
hello kj,
im betting john is correct and u forgot to remove the tab between the 2 hot screws(gold)
since u stated u rewired exactly as old was.

Old 08-14-00, 05:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Bingo! Thanks guys. Appreciate it.