Cost - upgrade from fusebox to circuits?

Old 08-04-02, 09:51 AM
D
darrellhilliard
Visiting Guest
Cost - upgrade from fusebox to circuits?

I have an older (built 1915) 3-bedroom, 2-story house. It currently has a fusebox. I'm interested in upgrading to circuit breakers.

Three questions: what is a rough estimate of the cost I will be facing, what are the benefits, and what would be the impact on resale value of the home.

Thanks.
Darrell

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-02, 12:15 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Probably about $1000 to $2500 to swap out a panel. Most people do this to get increased power by upgrading the service at the same time, but you don't automatically get that unless you ask for it.

A new panel normally offers the possibility of extra circuits (if you ask for it). The extra circuits will allow you to add grounded circuits for computers, etc. If you upgraded the service, you can also add more power needed for microwaves, big screen TVs, supplemental heat, laser printers, hot tub, etc.

Replacing all branch circuit wiring is usually done because very old wiring is often no longer safe. This work is much more expensive than replacing the panel.

I have no idea on the effect on resale value. I suggest you call realtors in your area.

As to safety, circuit breakers have some advantages over fuses, and fuses have some advantages over breakers. I would say that there is no clear-cut winner in this area.

As to convenience, breakers win hands down. It is much easier to reset a breaker than replace a fuse.

Old 08-04-02, 03:22 PM
D
darrellhilliard
Visiting Guest
Thanks, John, for your advice. Actually, I would like to do more than just swap out the box. Any idea of the general cost I may be facing to replace the old wiring? I know that in older 2-story houses wiring is not so easy to replace, but I want to know if it will cost a small fortune.

Old 08-04-02, 07:58 PM
B
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
I don't know how he came up with that price. I live in South Eastern MI and the panel upgrades are from $800 to $1600 depending on how hard the job is. There is only a few other places in the united states that would be any higher then this. Ex. California... New York.. Places where the cost of living is higher. As of a re-wire of a house? shop around. You can save thousands. You could get a price of $10,000 from someone who doesn't want to do it, or you could get a $2,000 price from someone who needs to do it. Make sure they are qualified to do the job. I will look for a website that will find a good contractor for you if you want. You list the job you need done and it goes up for bid. The lowest priced contractor gets the job. hope this helps

Old 08-04-02, 09:35 PM
D
darrellhilliard
Visiting Guest
Thanks for more information. I live in St. Paul Minnesota, and would like to have a way to put this up for bid to some contractors. I know it's probably a good idea to get the rewiring done, and know that the quotes can vary tremendously.

Old 08-04-02, 10:04 PM
B
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
I found the website. I have never used it, but my old boss is one of the contractors. Hope it works out for you.
http://www.improvenet.com/