hidden junctions

Old 08-04-02, 05:38 PM
D
dvw
Visiting Guest
Question hidden junctions

I found some walled in junction boxes that look like a quick remedy used to take existing cables up from a dropped ceiling into the joists. The boxes are metal, some are grounded to the box, some not. How Safe are theses? I also must assume that there are others in walls and ceilings that I have not demo'd out. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-02, 06:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are these boxes servicable? Can they be accessed?

Old 08-04-02, 07:41 PM
D
dvw
Visiting Guest
The boxes were originally behind the walls, ceiling, ie. the ceiling fan had been junctioned then extended to a new location. I am concerned about other hidden junctions throughout the house. What is the danger? Specifically, I have taken out the ceiling of two adjoining bathrooms. The junctions are up above the supporting wall and in between the joists. It looks as if they junctioned 3 -4 circuits that extend in the ceiling down the hall to the breaker box. From the junction boxes forward the circuits run to all outlets, fixtures and switches. Am I looking at a complete redo?

Old 08-04-02, 08:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you can get at them they are legal. If they are drywalled over they are not. What condition is the wire in? That would be a big factor on what went and what stayed. Do these feed recepts in the bathrooms? Also is it 2 wire or does it have a ground,,, esspecially for the baths.