Msg should be: GFCI vs AFCI

Old 08-05-02, 01:04 PM
Terry Alexander
Visiting Guest
Question Msg should be: GFCI vs AFCI

This is going to sound dumb.
I know what a GFCI outlet is (have them in the bathroom).
I have never heard of an AFCI outlet until I started lurking around this board....which I truly enjoy!

TIA

Terry A.

Old 08-05-02, 02:23 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
AFCI = arc fault circuit interupter. Looks somewhat like a GFCI breaker but monters for arcing within the circuit it protects. New to the electrical industry and has shown a lot of resistance in acceptance of this product. The NEC 1999 version the AFCI was introduced and required to be installed protecting any branch circuit that serves a bedroom receptacle in new houses starting January 2002. The 2002 NEC version now requires arc fault breakers to protect any branch circuit in a bedroom in new houses that serves any type of outlet in that bedroom. This now includes light fixtures, receptacles, smoke detectors or any other outlet in those bedrooms of new homes.

Some feel this AFCI is grossly inadequate and should not be required by the NEC. Some feel this AFCI is a great hope of reducing fires in the electrical industry. Time will tell.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 08-05-02, 02:34 PM
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
Wgoodrich...
I can understand GFCI for shock protection, but doesn't the std breaker already protect from arc faults? Are the new AFCIs essentially more sensitive?

Old 08-05-02, 04:20 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The AFCI is a new product on the market that is being resisted in acceptance as to how much to trust it. In my opinion the NEC made the move to introduce it into the electrical industry. I feel we now need to give the AFCI time to prove itself for or against its ability to perform.

GFIs were also resisted and caused much call backs due to lack of quality control when they came into the industry year ago. Now they are a widely used and relied upon. Time will tell.

The workings of an AFCI is to monitor the wave form of the electrical being used. The AFCI is supposed to be able to react and trip when this AFCI circuitry recognizes a sustained arcing such as sparks when a hot touches a neutral wire. Hopes are that this new AFCI will become trusted in the existing older wiring systems where many hidden junctions and failing conductors are present. The AFCI will trip if it recognizes any sizzling type arcing which is known to cause fires then trip off if that arcing appears on the branch circuit it is monitoring.

Arcing tends to cause an odd wave length on an oscilisope. This circuitry in the Arc Fault Breaker is desined to see electronically what you would see on an osciliscope and electrically react tripping when it recognizing a wire that is frying due to a shorted circuit..

There is much question as to how well the AFCI can recognize a loose wire nut connectin in what is called a series arc.

Time will tell us more how much we can rely on this new product. Problem is if we don't put it into the market how else can we learn to trust it? Story has it that the testing of this product has been extensive and passed that phase. Now it has been introduced in the electrical field to see it perform judging its reliability and worth same as was done on the GFI protective device that registers current leakage such as hot touching the frame of an appliance.

Hope this helps

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: