swinging ceiling fan

Old 08-11-00, 06:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

ceiling fan was working fine until i raised my arm while excercising and hit the blades. now it won't stop swinging and i 'm afraid it might fall on someone's head.anyone knows how to fix this problem?
please help. thanks
manofh

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-00, 09:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Manofh,

Get all new blades. You damaged one of the arms and you will not be able to fix it. It will never be right.

Old 08-12-00, 12:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Depending on the design of the blade arms, you may be able to put them back to true.

You need a step ladder tall enough to allow you to sight across the blades. Especially if it's a 4 blade fan, you knocked one or more of the blades out of line with it's mate. Looking down and across the pairs it's fairly obvious which one. Generally, as long as the blade arm is not cracked, you can gently bend it back in line. The blades also need to be in the same horizontal plane.

If the arms are cracked, or you simply can't true it back up, then you have only wasted a few minutes on a step ladder. Depending on the age and make of the fan, you might find a new fan for only a bit more that those blade arms will cost.

I'll replace blade arms on my expensive Hunter, if one of the cheaper ones in the rooms I don't use often gets messed up, I'm as likely to replace the whole thing.

Old 08-12-00, 09:38 PM
Visiting Guest
You can also try rotating the fan by hand and measuring between each blade and the ceiling at the same spot. All measurements should be the same. If not, bend as necessary. Sometimes this works, at least it's worth a try! Good luck.

Old 08-14-00, 09:19 AM
Visiting Guest
hello manofh,
another possability is that u simply knocked it off its base, get a ladder and remove the base of the fan, and check to b sure that the ball of the stem is seated fully in the socket. my apprentice hit a fan with a ladder last week and this is what we found

Old 08-22-00, 08:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Manofh,
You probably bent one of the metal brackets that fastens the fan blades to the fan motor.
If you still have our original instructions you got when the fan was installed, check 'em out. The instructions usually tell you that you must bend the out-of-sinc fan bracket to conform with the rest of the brackets. This may or may not take a little frustrating time. It's either that or junk the blades and buy a whole new set (if you don't know what else to do with your money).
Best of luck, Yosemite_Sam