smoke detector wiring

Old 08-06-02, 11:04 AM
jwcrane
Visiting Guest
smoke detector wiring

I need to install a few more smoke detectors in an addition I am building.

I haven't been able to find the same brand and model units as I have in the rest of the house.

Can different brand detectors still be wired together for a single smoke detector circuit? Will they still be able to "talk" to each other so that when one goes off they all go off?

Is there something in particular I should check on the specs of the units?

thanks

Old 08-06-02, 11:11 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tell us the make and model you have now. We might be able to identify a compatible one. Builders often use ones from supply houses that carry brands not normally found in retail stores (e.g., BRK), but identical ones can usually be found under the retail brands you do find in the stores (e.g., First Alert).

In general, I wouldn't mix them unless you know for sure that they are compatible. The life of a detector is only about ten years, so perhaps it's time to replace the other ones anyway.

Old 08-06-02, 11:58 AM
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
Excuse me.

John...
"life of a detector is only about ten years"
How do you know they're "bad" (or do you just replace them)?

Thanks.

Old 08-06-02, 12:36 PM
jwcrane
Visiting Guest
Response to response

The rest of the house has Firex detectors, but I haven't been able to find the same model anywhere.

The house was just built a year and a half ago, so I would prefer not to replace the other 6.

Can I use any other direct wire Firex detector or does it have to be that model to communicate properly?

thanks

Old 08-06-02, 01:15 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When I had the same problem a few years ago, I called the manufacturer of my existing smoke detectors, and they gave me a list of smoke detectors that I could interconnect with the ones I had. They also gave me names of retailers that sold those smoke detectors.

Manufacturers recommend that you just replace all your smoke detectors every ten years (of course, they would recommend that!).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: