how many outlets allowed

Old 08-26-00, 06:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Just wondering what the allowed amount of outlets on 1 circuit is? Is there a general rule of thumb? In Mass if that makes any difference. Does 15 or 20 amp make any difference? Basically I want to add another outlet to an existing circuirt. By the way I do have basic electrical experience...done a lot with motors, controls and phase converters...more in an industrial setting. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-27-00, 06:21 AM
Visiting Guest
I am not a professional electrian, if I remember my NEC (1996) correctly, it makes no limit on the number of outlets on a branch circuit, but you local enforcement agency may have there own restrictions. When I lived in Garden Grove, the inspector didn't like more that, I think 9, but he would let you get away with a couple more. I am sure the professionals on this forum can be more definitive.

Old 08-27-00, 11:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Bink you are correct there is no limit on how many outlets are allowed it is more of a common sense issue if you are putting in a 15 amp breaker 14 guage wire and 15 amp outlets the max amp is 80 percent of 15 amps. Should say that this applies to 20 or 30 amp circuits it is only 80 percent of the 20 and 30 I do not put more than 3 outlets per circuit,but our sons new home has 15 or 16 on 1 circuit several in living room and rest in bedrooms so go fiqure how ever i did not do this work and understand that this is no longer uncommon to put that many

Old 08-27-00, 01:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I'm not an electrician, but I believe that all outlet circuits should be 20 amp breakers with 12/2-with-ground wire, and the number of outlets you have has more to do with usage than numbers (at least all of mine are). Never use more than a 15 amp breaker on 14/2 (normally for lighting circuits), although you can use a smaller 15 amp breaker on 12/2. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: