Complicated switches...

Old 08-29-00, 05:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I want to connect a bathroom fan/heat lamp/light and am confused on the wiring. I have one supply and want individual switches for each function of the appliance. How do I wire them? Daisy chain the black and combine the white and ground?? PLEASE HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-00, 09:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi rok9495,

Apparently you have purchased a particular brand that does not supply the switching kit.You also don't indicate if you are trying to come from an existing box or need to install a new box as well for the switches.
You can use an existing circuit if you know it is not heavily loaded already. If you have a nearby existing box to derive your circuit run it to the new box. You will need to run two 2/wire to the device since you need 4 wires. You must clearly mark any one of the whites so you can use it as a switch leg.
And yes, daisy chain, or what we say, pigtail three black leads together on the hot feed to the sw box. Connect the white neutral to the neutral lead wire. You will then have two blacks and a marked white which will go on a switch device(s) (recommend Leviton has a triple decora switch device) which will work great here in a single gang box.
Now, the fixture will have four wires as well, probably all of a different color. The white goes on white, the bare grounds can be pigtailed and put under the ground screw in these fixtures. Read your directions as to what color wire services which part of the fixture, if you need to know, or just tie one on one.