receptacles not working

Old 08-30-00, 09:11 AM
Visiting Guest
I have discovered three (so far)receptacles that aren't working. They are probably linked together (?) and I'm not sure just where to go to find the source of the problem. Two are inside the house and one is outside. Furthermore, in my service box there is a circuit breaker which is tripped. When I try to reset it just keeps flipping off. The breaker is a "GFCI" type. Do I have a grounding problem? How do I find the problem and resolve?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-00, 09:52 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimVA:
I have discovered three (so far)receptacles that aren't working. They are probably linked together (?) and I'm not sure just where to go to find the source of the problem. Two are inside the house and one is outside. Furthermore, in my service box there is a circuit breaker which is tripped. When I try to reset it just keeps flipping off. The breaker is a "GFCI" type. Do I have a grounding problem? How do I find the problem and resolve?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The outlet circuit is apparently on the gfci breaker, and there may be moisture in the outside outlet (had water spinkler on or any rain lately?). All outside outlets are supposed to be gfci. Either look for a gfci outlet that needs to be re-set (should not be one on a circuit with gfci breaker, but you never know), or blow air into outside outlet to displace moisture, if any. (That's what I have to do sometimes with my outside outlets that are on a gfci circuit, and it works for me.) Bet that gfci is involved somewhere. Good Luck!

Old 08-30-00, 02:51 PM
Visiting Guest
hello jim,
oldguy mentioned the most probel cause whin outside outlets r invalved. it could also be loose connections in the outlets/panel, bad gfci breaker, or bad receps, or in the wireing.
shut off the circuit and remove the outside receps and check 4 mosture as well as loose connections, if u find a recep that looks coroded replace it. u need to also check the connections in the other outlets on this circuit. if all else fails replace the breaker, if u have done all this and still have a problem call an electrician to help u on this.