Cable box dislikes low voltage?

Old 08-10-02, 09:50 AM
LouieS
Visiting Guest
Cable box dislikes low voltage?

A guy called the other day with a weird problem. His CATV decoder boxes cause the TVs to buzz with jagged picture for less than a second when his A/C compressor starts up. The TVs do not do this if the cable box is bypassed. I checked compressor running and startup amps 13.5/82 which seem reasonable. LRA is listed as 95 and the unit is two years old and sounds normal. Voltage however is dropping to 92 on one leg and 106 on the other, down from 118 and 120. I'm wondering if the CATV decoder boxes don't like the voltage to go that low. They've been replaced by new ones which do the same thing. Possibly the utility connections have deteriorated and they've been called to check. Any one ever see this before with cable boxes?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-02, 12:21 PM
wareagle
Visiting Guest
Louie
Most of your voltage drop is in the utility transformer. The voltage droppong to 95 volts is unacceptable. The utility has a responsibility to maintain the voltage at a higher level that 95 volts.
Have them check the size of the transformer. You may be a long distance from the transformer and need to have a transformer at
your residence. With the voltage dropping to 95 volts the A/C contactor may be trying to drop out and you are getting arcing
which may what your are seeing on the TV.
Check the connections for a good tight connection. Have the utility do the same with their service.
I think if you can get the voltage level up your problem will
disappear.
Write back and tell us what happened.
Bob

Old 08-12-02, 06:43 PM
LouieS
Visiting Guest
Edison was able to find and correct the voltage problem and the cable boxes are happy. Thanks

Old 08-12-02, 10:41 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

LouieS, Sounds like bad connections at the tranformer on the pole. Typical DTE problem, I see it all the time. Your lucky they caught it in time before any serious damage to your appliances.

Fred