Type of wire needed?

Old 09-01-00, 06:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

What type of wire is needed to run 100amp service to a garage from a quick-disconnect from the meter? Preferably underground.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-00, 12:11 PM
Visiting Guest
In order to run a 100amp circuit to a garage, you will need to use #2 Al. or #4 Cu. I'm not familiar with the term "quick disconnect from the meter", so I won't respond to that. Your garage will be required to have a disconnect at the garage, which is usually done by adding a breaker panel with a main breaker in it. You will also have to install a grounding electrode at the garage, which is usually done by driving a ground rod, but if you have metallic water or gas lines run to the garage from the house, you need to bond these to the new panel.

You can run only 3 wires, however it is recommended to run 4, and seperate your neutrals and grounds in the garage panel. If you do run 4 wires, the 4th one can be sized down to a #6. This wire is the equipment grounding conductor for the circuit. Identify it green.

Hope this helps. If you have any doubts about doing this, please don't hesitate to call in a professional!

RM

Old 09-01-00, 12:13 PM
Visiting Guest
I forgot to tell you what type of wire to use. The most common is type USE-2. This can be direct buried or installed in conduit.

Good luck. RM