Type of wire needed?


Old 09-01-00, 06:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

What type of wire is needed to run 100amp service to a garage from a quick-disconnect from the meter? Preferably underground.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-00, 12:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

In order to run a 100amp circuit to a garage, you will need to use #2 Al. or #4 Cu. I'm not familiar with the term "quick disconnect from the meter", so I won't respond to that. Your garage will be required to have a disconnect at the garage, which is usually done by adding a breaker panel with a main breaker in it. You will also have to install a grounding electrode at the garage, which is usually done by driving a ground rod, but if you have metallic water or gas lines run to the garage from the house, you need to bond these to the new panel.

You can run only 3 wires, however it is recommended to run 4, and seperate your neutrals and grounds in the garage panel. If you do run 4 wires, the 4th one can be sized down to a #6. This wire is the equipment grounding conductor for the circuit. Identify it green.

Hope this helps. If you have any doubts about doing this, please don't hesitate to call in a professional!

Old 09-01-00, 12:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I forgot to tell you what type of wire to use. The most common is type USE-2. This can be direct buried or installed in conduit.

Good luck. RM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: