Dining Room Light

Old 08-31-00, 09:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi, I need some help. A contractor did some work in my house, he removed the light fixture, and left the wires hanging. I want to replace the light, but I need to know: I have 2 black and 2 white wires... the fixture has a black and a white..but, I also have a wall switch . What wires go where? please help..I put black to black, white to white, and turned on the switch and blew a fuse... Thanks folks.....

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-00, 10:18 PM
Visiting Guest
call the contractor and tell him to get his self back out there and fix it as it is his responsability if he won't then tell him you intend to hold him lible for any harm or damage that should come from it being left undone

Old 08-31-00, 10:19 PM
Visiting Guest
call the contractor and tell him to get his self back out there and fix it as it is his responsability if he won't then tell him you intend to hold him lible for any harm or damage that should come from it being left undone

Old 09-01-00, 06:50 AM
Visiting Guest
You have a switch at the end of the run. One of the whites in your ceiling box is really the switched hot -- it should be marked with a bit of black paint or tape.

By hooking all the whites and all the blacks together (the correct solution in some situations, but not this one), the wall switch then switched hot directly to neutral -- hence the blown fuse/breaker.

If and only if one of your whites in the ceiling box is marked black, do this: Connect the two black wires in the ceiling box to each other, but not to the fixture. Connect the white wires marked black to the black of the fixture. Connect the other box white wire to the white of the fixture.

If neither of the two white wires in your ceiling box is marked black, I wouldn't guess -- you run the risk of reversed polarity. Use a voltmeter or test light to figure it out. Separate all the four wires in the box. Turn the switch off. Turn the breaker back on (or reinsert the fuse). Use a voltmeter (very carefully) to find the black/white pair with 120 volts. It is the other white wire which should have been labeled black - mark it so and then wire as above.

Old 09-01-00, 07:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thank you John... I really appreciate the info.. Again, Thank You very much, Chuck

Old 09-01-00, 01:16 PM
Visiting Guest
gulp be very careful if you intend to hok this back up yourself the first time you popped a breaker the next time it could be you .was not trying to be a smart butt to you but even though this is a simple fix to some it is still the contractor that should fix it or did he find something dangerous and would not put it back let me know as i wonder why you don't have him fix it

Old 09-01-00, 04:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi GulpMe2,

One correction should be noted on the above posts.
You will need to find which two wires are the feed, hot and neutral. You do this as Nelson pointed out by separating all four wires.
I'm sure you have a loop or dead end switch here but you need to find which wires do what.
Once you find the "hot, a black, and the paired white, neutral, then the correct way to wire a loop switch is as follows.
The white of the switch feed, marked or unmarked, (You can now mark it though) must be wirenutted to the black feed of the circuit. This makes the other black wire from the switch as your switch leg.
You never want two whites located in any fixture box, marked or not, to be connected to a fixture.
I might also mention that the contractor you had, probably not an electricial contractor should not have taken this connection apart anyway. It had no bearing on the connection of the fixture.
Good luck.