Double-Switch confusion

Old 09-01-00, 05:24 PM
Visiting Guest
I recently replaced an old double-switch (one on top, other on bottom) for the two lights in my bathroom, and when I installed the replacement, I found that the top switch a) turns both lights on and b) the bottom switch won't work at all unless the top switch is on. There are two hot wires leading into the box, and one neutral leading out. I have the two hot wires attached to the top and bottom poles on the right side, and the neutral to the bottom pole on the left side. I believe this is how the old switch was wired. How do I wire it so the two switches work independently? (This is an older house with no grounds.) Thanks much for any assistance...

Old 09-01-00, 10:41 PM
Visiting Guest
This is too hard to figure out without seeing it. Basically, you should not have a neutral wire in this application. With the power on at the breaker, you should have one hot and two dead wires. The one hot will supply power to both switches, the two dead carry that power to each light. Usually in a switch leg the white wire will carry electric down to the switch and the black will continue it up. Use a multimeter to determine which wire is which.

Old 09-02-00, 07:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi David,

You clearly don't have a neutral. Your connection would have blown the breaker/fuse.
The white, you will find most likely, to be the hot wire.
It should be on the right or the side with the yoked screws.
The other two, blacks, will go on the other side where the screws are not tied together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: