electrical lighting wiring

Old 09-04-00, 01:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to change the wiring in a dining room light. The original wire is 4 feet long and I need a 10 foot wire. I have installed ceiling fans before, but have little electrical knowledge besides that. I have purchased the wire, I just need to know exactly how to do this. Please give me any insight into this. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-00, 04:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are required to install with the fixture wire that threads through the chaing a bare support wire. This bare support wire acts as the grounding conductor and acts as a support to carry the fixture.

BE sure to turn off power. Drop the fixture cone from the celing by unscrewing the nut hold the cone tight to the ceiling. This will expose the wire nuts connecting the fixture wires to the light fixture. Now unscrew the top loop of the light fixture. This is usually where you will find the wire nuts connecting all of the fixture wires going to the light bulbs. Now remove the existing fixture wire running through the chain from the ceiling junction to the fixture junction. Then add the needed chain links to extend the fixture down to the level that you desire and replace the fixture wire looping through the chain links as the old fixture wire was run and wire nut the conductors in the ceiling and fixture junctions as the were originally wire nutted. Usually in the ceiling junction the brass or black fixture conductor will wire nut to the black wire in the box. The silver or white fixture conductor will wire nut to the white wire in the box. Now the fixture junction will wire much the same. Only several black or copper conductors will wire nut under the same connection and several of the white or silver conductors will wire nut under the same connect. Just keep the silver or white and the black or copper separate of each other. Now turn on your power and test the light to be operation correctly.

Good luck

Wg