more power


Old 09-03-00, 01:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I own a house built in 1965 with a 100amp panel... I would like to upgrade it to a 200 amp service. The current panel is located in a bedroom closet. Can I have an electrician install the new panel on the outside wall by the meter and install a 100 amp breaker in it to treat the existing panel as a sub panel? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-00, 04:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

It is a very common way to upgrade because it is a lot more reasonable in cost.
The only additional thing you need to check is if your old panel was fed by an SE cable (service entrance conductor. This was common back in the 50's and 60's. If it is, it will need to be replaced. If it is single strand wire runing in conduit, you can save that cost as well.
Old 09-03-00, 07:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

most likely you will need a new meter base also new weatherhead and wiring from where utility company hooks on down to meter base in most places the utility company will give you the meter base and weatherhead
Old 09-03-00, 09:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

These are both good answers, however both missed one important item. Breaker panels can not be installed in closets.

Why not run all your circuit out to the new panel, or run them to either a j-box, or a relocated sub-panel?

Old 09-04-00, 09:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

rick you missed the post his panel is all ready in a closet he is not touching it so i think it is ok all he is doing is upgrading to a 200 amp panelin another location and going to make his old one a sub panel now once that becomes a sub panel then the grounds and neutrals {grounded conductors ] are going to need to be separated now once he touches his panel in closet he may be in violation at that point
Old 09-04-00, 05:19 PM
BoatMech's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 592
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Doc and Rick

You both can be right. My best advise to this question is to call your electrical Inspector. He is the "Authority Having Jurisdiction". It is his call and the call is border line. Could go either direction.

If you don't have an Inpsector, play it safe. It is the intent that a panel is not to be in a clothes closet. This is because the panel is a source af fire and clothes are a good kindlin. The panel is also an emergency switch in case of shock or fire. Who wants to unload a clothes closet in an emergency.

Good Luck


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: