florescent balast

Old 09-02-00, 06:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have florescent lighting in my kitchen and I LOVE it. These lights are ~6 years old and we have had to replace balasts every 2-3 years. Is this normal? The reason we replaced the balasts are because the bulbs would not fully light. Changing bulbs did not help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-00, 05:54 AM
Visiting Guest
no you should not have to replace the ballast that often i have 4 fixtures in my home and in the 15 years wehave had them i have not replaced the ballast you may write to the MFG. of the fixture and ballast and talk with them about this another thing is check the voltage and wiring to ballast maybe you are getting low voltage to them

Old 09-04-00, 05:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may have a grounding problem. A lot of electricians fail to connect the bare or green grounding conductor in the light fixtures. The flourescent fixture uses the grounding conductor as a field to incite the ignition of the flourecent bulbs. The weaker the ballast becomes due to age the more it relies on the ground to be connected. Check the grounding conection in you fixtures. This may be your problem. A lot of times you can tell by quickly shutting of the switch and then turning it on a few times rapidly. If the fixture lights halfway and then when you flicker the switch it lights up fully then most likely you have a bad or missing grounding field within the flourecent fixture

Good Luck

Wg