Dead pieces of Circuit

Old 08-13-02, 04:20 PM
P
pokaroni
Visiting Guest
Question Dead pieces of Circuit

I am trying to fix my home to move out, but I can't get the wiring in the bathroom fixed. The lights work, that are switched near the door, but the ones above the sink with the switch on the sink wall do not, and the outlets that are next to the switch have no power. I have checked the connections to see if they are tight enough, made sure the breakers are okay, and replaced the light, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you. ^_^

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-02, 05:34 PM
R
RichLINY
Visiting Guest
The outlet or switch could be faulty.

Have you tested the wiring for the switch and outlet with a multimeter/ volt meter ?
The meter is easy to use and will help you trouble shoot.

You can purchase a multimeter at any home center or radio shack for about $20.

Old 08-13-02, 05:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you care to, you can give us more detail and we can possibly spot the problem, or at least suggest some tests to try. "More detail" means to shut off the breaker and open every box in the bathroom. Tell us in detail everything you see, every cable, every wire, every connection. This is one of the first things we would do if we were standing in your bathroom (after a few simple voltage checks with our multimeter). Then we would draw out the circuit as best we could.

Old 08-13-02, 07:45 PM
J
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
GFCI hiding anywhere? Garage, kitchen, outside outlet?

Old 08-13-02, 11:22 PM
C
Captain Avenger
Visiting Guest
I suggest you call your electrician buddy. If you are from Long Island (I am from Mineola originally), I know for a fact that everyone has an electrician buddy.

Call him now please.

C.A.

Old 08-14-02, 07:15 AM
J
Forget my first reply. jlbos83's reply is so much better.

Old 08-14-02, 07:15 AM
S
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
Sounds to me like you have a gfi breaker or receptacle that has tripped!! Look in all of the bathrooms, if there is more than one. Look in the garage, basement if you have one, outdoor receptacles. If during your hunt you find a receptacle that has buttons on it, check and see if that gfi receptacle is tripped. All GFI receptacles have a "Test" button and a "Reset" button. Usually, if the GFI has tripped the Reset button will stick out a little more than normal.

If you don't find a GFI receptacle then take a look in your panel and see if there is a GFI breaker in the panel. Again, this breaker will have a test button on it, it will probably be the only one in the panel with this kind of a button. Unless you have more than one GFI circuit.

If no luck in that department then you will have to do some more investigating as John said in an earlier reply.

Good Luck!

Old 08-14-02, 01:02 PM
H
same here

i have a similar problem that resulted in me calling an electric buddy to lok at (in 2 days). every thing on my bedroom circut works except the ceiling light. i changed circut breakers, tried a different fixture, made sure the switch was wired - but no results.

a year ago this same fixture caused the entire circut line to go out (this bed room and the one next to it) but this time just this one place in the line is dead.

hese is my description:
two different black wires are in the ceiling - they are wrapped together with a cap. a white wire from the ceiling connects to my light as well are a red wire from the ceiling. also green grounds are connected. the switch that contols the light (actually this is a fan with a light) has a black and a red wire going into it. the switch is a dimmer switch.

that GFI mentioned earlier is key. i have one in the basement that tripped a while back and cut the electric to an upstairs bathroom - that is so wierd but at least i know about it now (the one bath room is wired on the same line as a basement outlet)

Old 08-14-02, 05:55 PM
P
pokaroni
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Thank you all for your help!

Thanks to your suggestions that we look not only in the room that the dead circuit was in, but in the rest of the house we managed to find a GFCI that had a loose connection (A floor and about a hundred feet away) *sigh* and got the upstairs bathroom working to good condition again. (Which is good since now my sisters can use their hair dryers in the bathroom instead of in the hall. ^_^)

Thank you

RichLINY
John Nelson
jibos83
Captain Avenger
sparksone42
and habs11

Thank you again
Pokaroni