Underground feed into shed


Old 08-31-00, 07:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

This is a great forum. I just found it and just in time to answer this question - I am running 12/2 UF Romex to a shed, about 150 feet fromthe house. I figure about 24" deep, but I don't think I'll bother putting it in PVC. My question is, how do you transition between the ground and the building? Do you bury conduit for the last bit with a 90 degree el and carry this into the bldg? thanks for any help -george
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-00, 11:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I'm sure several electricians will come in and quote code to you (and I hope they do), but I'll tell you how it is with my wiring to my post lamp (I'm a great believer in imitation).

The wiring goes out through the wall about 2 feet off the ground, entering conduit until it gets about a foot underground, where it is then no longer in conduit.

But I also think somebody is going to suggest you consider wiring heavier than 12-2, just in case your future needs increase.

Don't forget GFCI protection.
Old 08-31-00, 05:43 PM
BoatMech's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 592
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The minimum depth for a residential setting for uf cable is 18" anything deeper is fine.

You are required to protect the UF cable from 18" underground with a conduit approved for subject to physical damage. Suggest Sch 80 PVC. Then run the conduit up the wall to the point where you want to enter the wall. Use an LB condulet to lay flat to the wall and turn 90 degrees.

In a shed gfi protection is not required unless it has an overhead door and is designed for vihicular storage. Garage.

If this is a small shed 20 amp is probably fine. But I agree that you might want to upgrade to possibly 10/3 uf allowing for 2 30 amp circuit, 2 20 amp circuits, or even a 240 volt circuit for an air compressor or such. The increase in cost is minimal and the increased labor involved in nill. The advantages are obvious.

If you have a crawl and you dig the trench to the wall of the crawl then you could use a rod and poke a hole through the block and never surface above ground outside. Just remember to close the hole in the block to keep criters, bugs, and moister out.

Good luck

Old 09-01-00, 12:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

WG, one thing to consider, if you are in an area that has adopted the 1999 NEC, even this shed would be required to have GFCI protection. This was a change from the 1996 NEC.

Old 09-05-00, 06:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Thanks for the helpful info!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: