help with flood lights??????

Old 08-13-02, 06:16 PM
princess_nin
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb help with flood lights??????

I recently replaced a lot of flood lights and spot lights in my apartment complex, all the spot lights work but none of the flood lights will turn on when it gets dark. There is one set that will turn on when the light bulbs are screwed in and they just stay on all the time. If anyone has any help please feel free before I go crazy!!!!

Old 08-14-02, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Several possibilities:

1. Circuit breaker tripped somewhere.
2. Bad switch(es)
3. Bad photoelectric sensor (turns lights on only after dark).
4. Bad receptacle(s)

You will need to do some detective work to see how the circuits are run/configured and a voltmeter would be handy for checking power (CAREFULLY).

Post back any additional info you can provide.

Old 08-14-02, 06:59 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A defective time clock is a possibility. Are you the "super" of this complex?

Old 08-14-02, 07:37 AM
Terry Alexander
Visiting Guest
Smile Been there...done that....

BTDT...got the t-shirt.

If the flood lights are supposed to come on at night, then the light from the spotlights may be causing the photoelectric sensors to think that it is still daylight.

To test this, put a piece of black electrical tape over the sensor and see if the lights then come on. If so....we now know what the problem is.

Again, if successful with the black tape, not it is a "test" to see how much of the electric eye to cover up so that it functions properly at night. FYI - at my house, I had to cover exactly half of the electric eye for proper functionality.

HTH

Terry A.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: