Fluorescent light fitting fault

Old 09-05-00, 01:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

We have a 4Ft fluorescent light fitting in our kitchen, it has just started to flash when it is switched on. I do not think its is the starter as the lamp started flashing after a period of use (4Hrs). Do i have to change the tube or the choke or both to get it going again please. We dont want to change the fitting as it suits the room.
Thanks

Old 09-05-00, 05:21 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Henry,
there could be several things causeing this. from the info in your post it sounds like this is a new light that has run only 4 hours. if this is indeed the case i would check all the connections to be sure that they r tight b sure to check the connections on the tumbstones(sockets where the bulb attaches) as well as the tubes, if all is well and this is a new light take it back down and exchainge it 4 another 1 like it.
if this is an older light the again check all connections, if they r tight try a starter, there cheap and cause the problem, if all else fails try replaceing the tube.
it could also be the thermal in the balast, so if every thing else is ok then replace the balast.

Old 09-05-00, 09:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I suspect from the way that I interperet your question is that this is an old light. After about four hours the light flickers. If the light kicks off after this time the problem should be your ballast or your bulbs.
Weak bulbs can overheat an old ballast and cause the ballast to kick off on thermal.

Check the ends of your flourecent bulbs. If the have black ends showing at the ends of the glass tubes, then there is a good chance that the bulbs are bad and need replaced. Only one bad bulb will cause the ballast to kick out on thermal overload. Bulbs are cheaper to replace than a ballast and more common to be the problem.

I would change the bulbs first. I doubt that you will find a starter in a kitchen flourescent fixture. This fixture is most likely a rapid start fixture with the starter machinism built into the ballast.

If replacing the bulbs don't repair the problem, then replace the fixture's ballast.

Good luck

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: