Single Pole Switch and Receptacle Combo

Old 09-03-00, 09:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I have removed a single pole switch and find inside the duplex box 2 white wires wire- nutted together. A red wire is on one side of the switch and 2 blacks are together on the same terminal on the other side of the switch. I am replacing this single pole switch with a "single pole switch and single receptacle" combination in the same duplex box. I want power on the receptacle at all times and the switch to control the light as before. What goes where?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-00, 09:32 AM
Visiting Guest
nelson do you have a ground located in the box if not then you can not put a recep there.Now if your wiring is in conduit and you have a metal box then you can put an outlet in that location i know this did not answer your question but we need this answered first

Old 09-04-00, 04:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi, Nelson:

Iīll try my best..

You have 3 colors in the box: white, red and black. My common sense tells me that black is live, white is neutral and red is leg.

Any way, letīs check something: unscrew the light fixture controlled by the original switch and see the color of the two wires there (one is neutral and the other is leg (switched live). The remaining color is live (or hot). With this information, you can proceed to connect live to the switch and the outlet, Neutral to the outlet and leg to the switch.

Hope this can help you.

Old 09-04-00, 04:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi, Nelson:

You have three colors in the box. My common sense tells me that white is Neutral, Black is hot and red is leg (switched hot to the light bulb).

Letīs do some checking: Unscrew the light controlled by the switch. You will see two wires connected to the bulb (one is leg and the other is neutral, so take note of the colors).

Now you have all three wires identified.

In this way you should connect Neutral to the outlet; hot to the switch and the outlet; and the leg to the switch (on the other side).

Hope this can help you.

PS: For your safety, disconnect power when working with electricity

Old 09-04-00, 07:59 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doc:
nelson do you have a ground located in the box if not then you can not put a recep there.Now if your wiring is in conduit and you have a metal box then you can put an outlet in that location i know this did not answer your question but we need this answered first<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi doc,
I checked again and I see a bare copper wire attached to a screw set in the side of the metal box but there is no metal conduit running into the box. Am I grounded properly?

Old 09-04-00, 08:16 PM
Visiting Guest
ok now check and see if that wire follows your black wires and runs back to panel if it does then you can proceed to put your outlet in NOW do you know if there is something else hooked on to this switch or is fed from these same wires the red i can see being the hot from switch to light and the white wires being the neutral { grounded conductor } and one black is hot from panel the other black is hot to something else before going any fuurther find out what else is on that circuit and secondly you cannot legally put 2 wires under 1 screw so there is a violation in itself

Old 09-05-00, 05:40 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Nelson,
here is what u need to do.
1. turn power off to circuit in breaker panel
2. remove existing switch
3. pigtail the white wires(small piece of wire aprox 7" long wirenutted to other wires to produce 1 wire to attach to a device)
4. pigtail the black wires (small piece of wire aprox 7" long wirenutted to other wires to produce 1 wire to attach to a device)
5. pigtail the bare wires (small piece of wire aprox 7" long wirenutted to other wires to produce 1 wire to attach to a device)
6. connect the white wire to the silver screw
7. connect the black wire to the common screw(sometimes black, but may be gold)
8. connect the red to the switched screw (usualy gold)
9. connect the bare wire to the green screw
10. turn breaker back on
your new switch shuld have come with a wireing diagram look at it to determin which screw is which for certion.