wire size

Old 09-07-00, 09:36 PM
Visiting Guest
i have a main electrical panel w/150amp circuit breaker; I nstalled a new subpanel about 6 ft away from the main panel w/ 40 circuit breakers and 220v going to my spa. Is copper wire size #6/3 w-g a proper size to bridge the main panel and subpanel??

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-00, 12:06 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by da2000:
i have a main electrical panel w/150amp circuit breaker; I nstalled a new subpanel about 6 ft away from the main panel w/ 40 circuit breakers and 220v going to my spa. Is copper wire size #6/3 w-g a proper size to bridge the main panel and subpanel??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really, it depends on the actual amperage that your going to send to the sub-panel. Your #6 wire is good up to 125 amps, then #4 goes up to 165 amps. This is the type of job you may need to go to the library for. A little bit of homework goes a long way when dealing with electricity. Good Luck.

Old 09-08-00, 07:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Whoa folks,

6-3w/g copper wire is rated at 55 amps and the continuous load is limited to 80% of the rating. No. 4 wire is rated at 70 amps.

Size the breaker in the main panel for the size wire you are running.

Old 09-08-00, 02:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glad you jumped in Boatright! I suspect Around the House got on the wrong chart. Sounds like the chart for open air. I noticed you quoted the 60 degree column. This is a common mistake usually missed. You were evidentually aware of the terminal temperature rated limitation and the smaller than #1 required to be limited to the 60 degree comumn. I commend you. I suspect that around the house caught his mistake right after he posted.

Keep up the good work.

Wg