Wiring in kitchen is suddenly affecting radio

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-16-02, 02:11 PM
M
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Wiring in kitchen is suddenly affecting radio

Hello. My radio is pugged into the same recepticle as the microwave. There haven't been any problems until a few days ago. Everytime I turn on the microwave the radio's transmission becomes one big fuzz. Nothing can be understood. I've tried to fine tune the station, but everything is static. Yesterday I turned on the ceiling fan and the radio was affected. This is a 60 year old rental house, with (I believe) the original wiring. Also, the age of the house has insured that there is only one usable outlet. I believe the outlet for the refrigerator is new. Here are some questions: there are termites living in the area of the microwave outlet (soon to be terminated) and the roof was recentlly replaced and as it was also termite ridden there was a lot of debris that fell into the attic, etc. Then, of course, we had the 100 year rain. Would the termites, debris (which is quite able to fall between the walls) or dampness have led to this sudden static? One other thing: The outlet itself (is this the recepticle?) pushes into the wall when a plug is pushed in. I'm not sure if one of those metal boxes (whatever they are called) was used, but it is obviously not anchored very well. Have I lost the grounding? I would truly appreciate the assistance. Thank you. Maureen
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-16-02, 10:01 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Fayetteville, NY, USA
Posts: 1,052
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I feel bad nobody would touch this. You would need to cut off the breaker and pull out the recep to see if ground has been lost. Buzz of a radio on a ckt that has buzzing equip like motor or micro is common. There is frequency buzzing about on such ckts along with the 60 hz power supply. Even gets in the air, such as a battery-operated radio in same room when turning on an electrical device in same room will buzz. Suggest you go out into the Ozark mountains where there is no electrical supply and chances are better you won't get interference. Or get digital cable or internet radio. I do not, however, believe in any way that the termites are trying to prohibit you from receiving communications from the outside world. If they want to take over without you notifying the authorities first, they will usually try to cut the phone line and wouldn't ordinarily try to cut your incoming radio signals. For what it's worth.

Juice
 
  #3  
Old 08-16-02, 10:17 PM
M
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Talking Thank you thank you thank you

Juice Head,

I like your handle and your fabulous sense of humor. Thanks for the laugh. Ozarks huh? No thanks. I'll stay here and wait for the termites to cut off my phone. So, you're a stand up comedian, if not you should be. I'm still laughing. Though this could be hysteria as I'm tired and hungry and trying not to make eggs and toast at 12:15am. I think I'll just turn the radio off when I use the microwave--what a common sense solution, huh? Doesn't take me long to solve problems. Good thing I'm not sitting in a sinking boat, by the time I figured out what to do I'd be fish food.

Thanks for the entertainment. You can answer any post of mine you want. It feels great to laugh.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my "question."

Maureen
 
  #4  
Old 08-17-02, 08:12 AM
hornetd's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 695
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: Wiring in kitchen is suddenly affecting radio

Originally posted by mamartinek
Hello. My radio is pugged into the same recepticle as the microwave. There haven't been any problems until a few days ago. Everytime I turn on the microwave the radio's transmission becomes one big fuzz. Nothing can be understood. I've tried to fine tune the station, but everything is static. Yesterday I turned on the ceiling fan and the radio was affected. This is a 60 year old rental house, with (I believe) the original wiring. Also, the age of the house has insured that there is only one usable outlet. I believe the outlet for the refrigerator is new. Here are some questions: there are termites living in the area of the microwave outlet (soon to be terminated) and the roof was recentlly replaced and as it was also termite ridden there was a lot of debris that fell into the attic, etc. Then, of course, we had the 100 year rain. Would the termites, debris (which is quite able to fall between the walls) or dampness have led to this sudden static? One other thing: The outlet itself (is this the recepticle?) pushes into the wall when a plug is pushed in. I'm not sure if one of those metal boxes (whatever they are called) was used, but it is obviously not anchored very well. Have I lost the grounding? I would truly appreciate the assistance. Thank you. Maureen
Maureen
If I understood your posting this is a new problem on a circuit that used to perform without causing radio interference. That has me concerned for your safety. The most likely cause of this new onset of interference is an arc in the microwave or in the circuit supplying it. If you plug a heavy load like a portable hair dryer set to high into that circuit and turn it on for a second does the radio interference happen? Arcing generates a lot of heat and can kindle a fire. You need to have an electrician check the circuit for loose connections.
--
Tom
 
  #5  
Old 08-17-02, 08:30 AM
S
Member
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brethren, Mi
Posts: 1,648
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with figuring out what went wrong,,,, obviously something changed and the thought of using the hair dryer to check is a good one. I would guess a loose neutral wire right at the recept from constant use,, but it sounds like you need a couple new circuits there.
 
  #6  
Old 08-17-02, 10:54 PM
M
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks

hornetd & sberry27,

Thanks for caring. I would certainly be pissed off if this house burned down. I will check using a hair dryer. At least I will know what to tell the manager. Thanks again.

Maureen
 
  #7  
Old 08-20-02, 03:39 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Fayetteville, NY, USA
Posts: 1,052
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Maureen, It wasn't my intention to crack people up ovah heah. Your thoughts just brought on thoughts of wierd alien of critter activities. But your complimentary nature encourages me! Electricity is my livelihood and my interest as well, and peoples oddities and problems bring out the troubleshooter in me. I can't help but to try to figure them out. Thanks for your reply.

Juice
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: