FROM BAD TO WORSE

Old 09-08-00, 06:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

OKAY I FOUND THE OUTLET WITH THE FRIED WIRED AND REPLACED IT. THAT DIDN'T FIX THE PROB. SO I REPLACED THE TWO REMAINING OUTLETS. THAT DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM AND NOW WHEN THE LIGHT SWITCH IS TURNED ON THE THREE OUTLETS THAT WORK HAVE TO BE RESET. TIME TO CALL IN A PRO OR IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I CAN LOOK FOR? PLEASE HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-00, 08:52 PM
Visiting Guest
hello answerbound,
since u found a fryed wire, and u state 3 outlets need rest (i asume u mean they r gfci)whin a light switch is thrown i sugest u call in an electrician, sounds like u have some major wireing problems.

Old 09-09-00, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well we found the problem that we suspected. The fryed wire I understand that the fried wire was where it plugged into the back of one of the receptacles.

We now have another problem that may have been caused by the repair. I don't remember you mentioning a switch in this circuit before.

When you say you have to reset I take it that you are saying reset of the GFI.

If you do not turn on the light does all work correctly? I suggest that you leave the light switch off and test each receptacle with a table lamp. If these work ok then we have a problem between the light switch and the light fixture that you are controling with the switch.

If your three receptacles work fine post great!

If you have a problem when you apply a load to one of these receptacles, we probably have a grounding wire [bare] touching a grounded wire [white] inside one of the receptacle boxes. If one or two receptacles accept a load and the third receptacle kicks the GFI when a load is applied then check for a wiring problem in that receptacle or the next one before it. I still suspect the white and ground touching in one of these boxes if you have a problem applying load to the receptacles with the switch off. This is because you are not saying the breaker is kicking. If this does not solve the problem applying load to the receptacles, then pull out all three receptacles and reinstall the first receptacle and apply load. If it works then turn off power and reinstall the second receptacle and test the first and the second receptacle. If they both work then reinstall the third receptacle and retest the first, second, third and if they all work now then we can look at the switch for a problem.

If all of the three receptacles are working under a load, then find the first light fixture controlled by your light switch. Disconnect the black, white, bare of the light fixture from the romex feeding it. Now turn on your switch. If you have to reset then your problem is probably either in the light switch box or the switch leg [romex going to the light fixture] I still suspect a white touching the bare, either in the light switch or switch leg.

Just let the circuit grow by energizing one at a time and then shut off the circuit and reinstall the next device until you get to the light fixture and it works. When you start having to reset your GFI then you just hit the problem and localized where to look.

Good Luck

Wg