How to attach swag type ceiling fan

Old 08-16-02, 06:28 PM
M
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Question How to attach swag type ceiling fan

Hello,

I have installed in-ceiling fans, but this is new. How do I find the ceiling beam to attach this fan to? How long should the screws be and should they be wood screws? Should I use four screws?

Thanks for the help.

Maureen

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-02, 07:46 PM
B
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
You need to install a ceiling fan box that has a bar that spreads between the joists. You fan will have a hardware kit that will mount to this box. You then can hang your fan. This goes for any style fan. You need to change the box!

Old 08-16-02, 10:09 PM
M
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Ceiling Fan Box, Bar, Joists?

Hi bwetzel,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question about c.f. Unfortunately my hardware speak is just about nil. What is a ceiling fan box, what bar? Can't I just take that 10" by 4" bar that the fan can be attached to and screw it into a joist through the ceiling? Do I have to saw a hole in the ceiling? I don't have an existing light fixture. I plan on attaching a long cord and swag and just plug it in an existing wall receptacle. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Maureen

Old 08-17-02, 10:19 AM
B
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
This is not a safe way to install a fan. You need to cut a hole in the ceiling and pick up an old work fan box. It will have a box with a bar spreader on it. You can put this between the joist and turn it and it will spread out into the joist. No nails required. As for power you need to get a wire (12-3 or 14-3 depending on the circuit you are tapping into) down to a switch on the wall. This will allow you to control the fan as well as a light kit. Then you need to feed the switch. I do not recomend the setup that you described. It is a violation of the NEC as well as being dangerous. all it would take is the cord to come unpluged or dangle to low and the fan would catch the cord and send it flying. It may catch you upside the head if you are walking by. There are alot of things that could go wrong with this setup.