Kchn Cntr circuits

Old 09-09-00, 11:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I was first made aware of this problem while I was helping someone out with rewiring a circa-1900 house. The countertop receptacles were rewired when the new wall tile and countertop were installed. The instalation looked fine me, but my friend still said that the countertop had to have two different small applince circuits supplying it. I noticed a website that has home project suggestions and help also very breifly mentioned something similar. I will be rewiring both my own and another friends kitchen and dining room receptacle circuits completely soon.

PLEASE CLARIFY THIS REQUIREMENT AND TELL ME WHERE THE REQUIREMENT IS LOCATED IN THE CODE.
WOULD THIS PERHAPS BE A 2000 NEC UPDATE?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-00, 11:44 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks WG for this post from doc hope this helps
Most of your replies are correct. Some differences are due to interpretation of the code by AHJ's.

The NEC says that you must have at least two 20 amp circuits serving the small appliance branch circuit loads of the counter areas. 210-11 The definition of a small appliance branch circuit is any convenience receptacle found in the kitchen, nook, dining, and pantry.

By the NEC which is a minimum safety standard, You can run all of the receptacles in the kitchen,nook, dining, and pantry on one 20 amp circuit except one receptacle over the kitchen counter. That one receptacle would be the second 20 amp circuit as required. I personally advise running an A / B type design. Every other receptacle on the walls on a circuit, otherwise half of the receptacles in the kitchen, nook, dining, and pantry on the first circuit and the other half on the second circuit, in an alternating manner. 210-52-b This set up that no matter where you are in the kitchen then both circuits are within reach. A cook tends to pile all cooking appliances in one corner or spot on the counter.
All receptacles over the counter areas must be gfi protected.
You must install a receptacle over the counter within 24" of the end of a counter and within 48" of the last receptacle until there is a break in the counter such as a sink, stove, or refrig. YOu must install a receptacle serving the counter of an island or penninsular if the counter area is at least 24" long or longer 210-52-c-1 through 5
You can not mix lighting, fixed appliances, or anything in any other room on with the kitchen receptacle circuits.Small appliance branch circuit.210-52-2
You are allowed to put the refrig, igniter of a gas stove, or a clock receptacle on these circuits.210-52-b-1 exceptions
It is a myth that you must have large appliances on a 20 amp single circuit.
You can run a single garbage disposal, or a single refrigerator on a 14 ga. 15 amp rated circuit. see article 430. You may load these motor type loads up to 80% of the capacity of a circuit if single circuit. If you install a motor type load and other loads then in a dwelling you can only load that cicuit with the motor load using only 50% of that circuit.210-23-a
A microwave if mounted in a microwave cabinet is considered a fixed appliance and can not be on the kitchen receptacle circuits. A microwave can be on with other loads of the same circuit if not a kitchen receptacle and if the microwave does not exceed 50% of the circuit or 80% of the circuit if on a single circuit.
There is no limit as to the number of small appliance branch receptacle allowed on a small appliance branch circuit.
Receptacles found in the living areas and the number allowed on one circuit are calculated by taking the square footage of the dwelling times 3 volt amps [table 220-3-b] then dividing that answer by 2400 va for a 20 amp circuit or 1800 va for a 15 amp circuit. This answer will tell you the total number of general lighting branch circuits are required to serve that dwelling. Then you must put all of the receptacles in the living areas evenly on that number of general lighting branch circuits, at least. If you put a receptacle on ever stud in your living areas you could have as much as 100 receptacles on a circuit or more, by the NEC 210-11-b
Check with your Authority Having Jurisdiction. He may have different ideas and he as the ultimate authority as long as he only requires what is required by rules of law.
It is commonly accepted that the term existing is if you don't touch that wiring and it is still in a safe condition and it met code at the time of installation then it is existing.
If grandma wired her house before we were born and it met the current code at the time of installation and it is not now in a deteriorated condition then forever it be governed by the code in affect when it was originally installed.

good luck

Wg