GFI styles

Old 09-06-00, 07:57 AM
Visiting Guest
This is more of a decorative question. Do GFI's only come in the large rectangular version, or can I get a "traditional" looking outlet?

Thanks,
Armella

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-00, 09:11 AM
Visiting Guest
I must admit that I have only seen them in the rectangular style. I suggest you check with an electrical supply house, the kind where the professional electricians get their stuff. They will have catalogs and be able to order specialty items if the exist. At the very least, they will have GFCI breakers that can be put in your breaker box. Then you can use traditional sockets and protect the whole circuit.

Old 09-06-00, 09:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are considering installation at the breaker box, but will it offer the same protection as putting it at the source. It seems to me that even a split second could mean the difference between life and death in some instances. Or am I over-analyzing the situation?

Thanks,
Armella

Old 09-06-00, 01:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Installing a ground fault breaker will offer the same protection and is approved by the NEC. They are more costly than the outlets.

Old 09-06-00, 03:27 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Armella,
installing a gfci breaker will provide u with the exact same proctection as a gfci outlet. the breaker will cost u more then an outlet, and it will proctect the intire circuit with out haveing to line load a outlet.

Old 09-07-00, 05:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone. That helped a lot!

Armella

Old 09-08-00, 05:51 PM
Visiting Guest
As mentioned in a previous thread, you can
install a GFCI recepticle at the circuit
panel, and feed the circuit needing protection through it.

Old 09-09-00, 11:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Once upon a time, GFCI's were made in the traditional duplex receptacle design, at least 15-20 yrs. ago. To my knowledge they are not manufactured anymore. Some GFCI's are available with buttons that match the face, Eagle Electric has made them this way for a long time.