Pump wiring and disconnect switch

Old 09-09-00, 01:03 PM
Visiting Guest
A contractor just completed the installation of a septic system equipped with a lift pump. The pump is 110VAC. Am I required to place a disconnect switch in the vicinity of the pump. The pump is located approximately 65' from the breaker box. If a switch is required what type or specs must be met.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-00, 02:22 PM
Visiting Guest
yes you need a disconnect for it code says within 50 feet and in sight and even if the breaker is used it has be rated as switch duty i believe. All you need to do is take a weather proof box and install a standard 120 volt switch in it and feed the hot into it and then out of it to pump,now if this is a cord and plug connected pump it will act as the disconnect and no switch needed

Old 09-09-00, 02:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi tjwahl,
I assume that this pump is what is giving you the space problem in your panel as well.
But, yes, you will need a switch/disconnect at the pump location.
I'm not familiar with residential requirments because everything here that uses lift stations is commercial where they have large reservoirs or different levels where a lift station would be necessary.
They require special lift station contactors with double pump capability, relays for float switches and warning systems. Your plumbing contractor should know what your local requirments would be but you can also check with your local authorities.
But in any case you will need a switch of some kind.

Old 09-09-00, 03:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Doc and David B, Thank you for your prompt and informative reply. You were right in assuming this is part of my exhausted breaker panel. Thanks again

Old 09-10-00, 12:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The way that I understand is you are asking about a form of disconnect required for a residential sewage lift station.

If this lift station is for a basement toilet and has a open sewage collection well in the basement you have a hazard for property if the lift station fails.

430-74 except 2 states that if you install a warning sign at the equipment entrance and the equipment is limited to qualified personel a disconnect is not required.

If you install a disconnect, use a non fused disconnect. The breaker at the power source of that branch circuit protects the circuit and a fuse in a disconnect with a fuse may increase hazard to your property in case of equipment failure like a blown fuse in the disconnet that is not required.

Just something more to think on.

Good luck

Wg