Getting ready for rough-in inspection

Old 08-17-02, 07:46 AM
KevinA
Visiting Guest
Question Getting ready for rough-in inspection

I kinda screwed up- I already installed a bunch of outlets in their boxes and after talking to my local inspector I found out I'm not supposed to have them in there yet- just 6 inches of wire sticking out. Ooops. So now I'm pulling the outlets out of the boxes, leaving the wires attached.

So, Question - do I need 6 inches of wire sticking out beyond edge of the box or 6 inches total in the box? Does a certain length need to be stripped or not stripped?

Also, this is an addition I'm working on, and in order to get my wires to the main panel I have to drill through brick to get the wire under the existing house. Do I need to run conduit to protect the wire from chafing? Can I just run it for that 1 foot or so through the brick? Does that need to be grounded seperately?
Any other options/ideas?

Thanks!

Old 08-17-02, 12:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need 6 inches extending from where the sheathing ends (assuming NM cable). Since the sheathing needs to extend at least 1/4" into the box, you need just a bit more than 6 inches inside the box. A second additional requirement is that the wire must extend at least 3 inches outside the box. These two requirements are pretty much the same thing if your box is 3 inches deep.

I usually leave a little more than the minimum required. You can always make a wire shorter.

Old 08-17-02, 12:07 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NEC Art 300.14, lenth of free conductors at outlet boxes, requires 6" of "free" wire measured from the point in the box where the wire seperates from the cable jacket.-----All bare Grounding conductors must be connected together with "approved" fittings prior to a "roughing" inspection with one Grounding lead for each device fixed to the outlet box.---Good Luck!!!!

Old 08-17-02, 06:01 PM
B
all ground wires must be connected with GREEN wirenut.

He failed me on that one.

Old 08-17-02, 07:45 PM
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
All bare Grounding conductors must be connected together with "approved" fittings
There are more then just green wirenuts that are approved fittings. I would of asked him to show me where it says I have to use GREEN wirenuts!!

Old 08-19-02, 09:45 AM
B
i had them fasten with a yellow nut and he failed on color only, had to repay for inspection just for color. had this conversation here about a month ago

Old 08-19-02, 10:02 AM
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
Hey gang!! Whenever an inspector turns an inspection down they are required to note the article that references the alleged violation. If they can't give you a code article then they need to pass the inspection.

In my dealings with inspectors I have found that they will always cite a code article for a re-inspection. There have been some way, way back that failed me and never said why. I would call them and ask them which code article they were using to determine that there was a violation, several times this resulted in the inspector coming back out and signing the permit as they had no article.

80.19 (F) 5 specifically states that the inspector must give written notice stating the defects that have been found to exist.

Of course, don't forget the old addage about the authority having jurisdiction found in 90.4. He who has the gold makes the rules.

Old 08-19-02, 03:54 PM
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
Brownbagg,
You must insist on an inspector giving you a written explanation and code section and from which code. It has to be written somewhere,whether it is the NEC or the local. He has to give you a number for it to be a violation. I would of fought the issue of not using a Green wire nut. It may of been a local thing, but I really doubt it. If you do your job right,You should not have violations(Not to say you don't) But there are alot of inspectors who interpurt the code however they damn well please, and all you need to do is call them out on it. Some are just out to make this $25,000 a year job a $50,000 a year job because every re-inspection cost about $35 and it goes right to the inspector.

Old 08-19-02, 05:49 PM
B
green wire nuts 250.126

Old 08-19-02, 06:36 PM
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
You are looking at 250-126 which states Identification of wiring TERMINALS. 1,2 and 3 are all referring to terminals only, not grounds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: