electrical

Old 08-17-02, 02:47 PM
M
mustang685
Visiting Guest
electrical

i want to add some window unit type airconditioners to my mothers home here in jacksonville fl. but her circuit breaker panel appeares to be a 60 smp service ( built in the '50's ) the breakers are old in the panel and i think were used as on-off switches in the past .i want to install the largest a/c units that i can on the circuits in her bedroom and the living room i only have 110 service and the outlets are two pronged without a ground receptical. she says that the circuits trip when she had a/c previously. should i replace the breakers in the panel figuring they were used for on/off switches and can i just go up on the amps for the circuit breakers to carry the new a/c units or should i replace with exactly the same amp circuit breakers and how do i figure the amp requirements of the new units so as to get the largest a/c that the circuit will support. thanks. all help is greatly appreciated she is hot and gets a little on the cranky side when she is uncomfortable

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-02, 02:54 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is most likely no inexpensive solution. You may not replace the breakers with larger ones. You will probably need to upgrade the service. Then you'll need a new circuit for the A/C. You're probably looking at one to two thousand dollars, plus the cost of the A/C. I suggest you get some electricians out for a quote.