Old 08-17-02, 02:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

i want to add some window unit type airconditioners to my mothers home here in jacksonville fl. but her circuit breaker panel appeares to be a 60 smp service ( built in the '50's ) the breakers are old in the panel and i think were used as on-off switches in the past .i want to install the largest a/c units that i can on the circuits in her bedroom and the living room i only have 110 service and the outlets are two pronged without a ground receptical. she says that the circuits trip when she had a/c previously. should i replace the breakers in the panel figuring they were used for on/off switches and can i just go up on the amps for the circuit breakers to carry the new a/c units or should i replace with exactly the same amp circuit breakers and how do i figure the amp requirements of the new units so as to get the largest a/c that the circuit will support. thanks. all help is greatly appreciated she is hot and gets a little on the cranky side when she is uncomfortable
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-02, 02:54 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is most likely no inexpensive solution. You may not replace the breakers with larger ones. You will probably need to upgrade the service. Then you'll need a new circuit for the A/C. You're probably looking at one to two thousand dollars, plus the cost of the A/C. I suggest you get some electricians out for a quote.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: