220volt pump


Old 09-10-00, 09:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

installing an irragation system and will be drawing the water from the lake the pump is down by the lake 220volt do i need gfi breaker and can they be used without a neutral thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-00, 11:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

no the pump does not have to be on a gfi and i would run a neutral down to the pump area along with 2 hots and a ground so that you can put a light down there in case you get caught working on it in the dark,you are also going to need some sort of disconnect to kill all power to the pump so that it can be worked on .The disconnect has to be within sight and within 50 ft. of pump
Old 09-10-00, 01:49 PM
BoatMech's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 592
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

If you are installing an electrically driven or controlled irrigation machine that has motors mounted to wheels like a farm irrigation system then you might want to check the NEC 675 for irrigation equipment.

I agree with doc that if this pump is with a disconnect and without any receptacles then no GFI protection is required.

I also agree that lighting and a receptacle to work with is something to think on and could be used.

If you install 110 receptacles on a residential site then Gfi is required.

All equipment is required to be bonded to ground but if no neutral is used then no neutral is required.

I suggest that you pay attention to voltage drop. The type of project that you are attempting is inherent to voltage drop caused due to long distances.

If you are running electricity no further than 125' for a 120 volt circuit or 250' for a 240 volt system then you should be ok. If you are going much farther than that you should calculate voltage drop. The NEC suggest a maximum of a 5% voltage drop on a feeder or branch combined.

If you are going up to 600 feet you might check with you Utility company and ask for a single phase 480 volt system. This voltage is common to single phase used in a long distance design situations such as irrigation

If you want to try to figure voltage drop the following formula should work.

1ph both ways Resistance Cu. One way amps
VD = 2 x 12.9 cu. x length x load
divided by circular mill of the conductor found in a chart in NEC Chapter 9 Table 8.

Good Luck

Old 09-10-00, 02:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

hello pumpman,
i agree with both doc and goodwrich on there aspects of this.
i just wanted to add a thought, u may want to consider installing a small sub panel down by the lake, i would use a weather proof panel probily a 100 amp 6 space main lug panel, install a 2 pole breaker of a larger size then the pump requires probily no more then a 50 amp and run wire 1 size larger wire then required for the breaker in the case of 50 amp id run # 4 this will provide u with sufencent voltage drop procetion. i would then run to the pum with the required wire size and breaker on a 2 pole and install a 20 amp gfci recep on another circuit and mabe some lights on another.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: