Conversion from AC to DC

Old 09-01-00, 06:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need some help converting a portable record player (110-120V AC, 60Hz 25W) to a battery pack of some sort in order to make this a TRUE portable record player. I am not literate in electrical terms and jargon so any simple explanation or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Devan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-00, 08:31 PM
Visiting Guest
you cannot convert it to dc the only thing you could do would be buy a couple of deep cycle batteries such as for boat trolling motors or golf carts hook them in parrell and then hook a converter to it the cost and time of toting it all around is not feasible they do make a converter that runs off of your car but it converts DC TO AC that not what you want to hear i know

Old 09-11-00, 10:40 AM
Visiting Guest
OK, here's my 2 cents. If you're determined to do this, you won't be able to convert the record player itself, but there's a simple way to go about it. Radio Shack sells an "inverter", which converts 12 volts DC to 110 volts AC. I think it's around $85. It comes with a cigarrette lighter plug, which you can lop off and install crimp-on ring connectors to connect to battery terminals. Next you'll need a battery. You can watch the sale ads and get the smallest, cheapest car battery you can find, and at 25 watts you should be able to run that record player all day. But you'll need to buy a battery charger eventually. For more information on DC systems, including batteries and chargers, go to www.batteryresearch.com.

Of course, by the time you bought all this stuff you could have a dandy boom-box that runs on batteries or AC, but then again you couldn't play your records. I'm a vinyl freak, so I can understand why you want to work with the equipment you have rather than toss it for a truly portable something else.

gls

Old 09-12-00, 10:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Repalce the AC motor with a low
voltage DC motor that you can easily
control the speed of. It may take some engineering though.