To make GFCI work correctly.....

Old 08-19-02, 06:45 AM
M
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking To make GFCI work correctly.....

I have a branch circuit that has 3 receptacles: 1 in the garage, 2 in each bathroom.
GFCI receptacle is installed upstream in the garage outlet.
However, I have a 2nd fridge hooked up to that outlet.
I 'd like to change that outlet to non-gfci receptacle and install GFCI receptacle to the 1st bathroom, which is the next receptacle down.

Is this plan gonna affect the correct functionality of GFCI??

I want ONLY bathroom receptacles to be GFCI protected.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-02, 07:45 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage outlets need to be gfci unless it is dedicated to an appliance and the recept isnt readily availiable for general use. That said,, the plan you have to move it will not effect the operation.

Old 08-19-02, 08:59 AM
S
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
If you place the refrigerator in front of that garage receptacle then, yes, you can pull out the gfi and move it to the next box downstream. Question is, are you sure that the next box is, indeed, the next receptacle "electrically?" You will need to investigate and make sure that you can identify the wires coming into that box that are the "feed" conductors that presently come from the load side of the gfi in the garage. You will also need to verify that the wires that leave the box go to the next bathroom.

Once you have done all this work then you can take existing gfi in the garage out and replace it with a single receptale (notice that it can't be a duplex) and place the refrigerator in front of it. This will satisfy the part of the code that says that you can use a regular receptacle with a dedicated appliance in a dedicated space. You will have to make splices in the box in the garage. The white conductors that you remove from the gfi will now be spliced together as will the blacks.

In the first bathroom you will need to place the feed conductors that you previously identified on the line side of the gfi and the downstream conductors that go to the next bathroom will terminate on the load side of the gfi.

Once you have installed the gfi, turn on the power again and use the test button to make sure that it is functioning properly. You should also check the second bathroom when you hit the test button and make sure that the power went out in there as well.

Good Luck!!

Old 08-19-02, 10:57 AM
M
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Alternative

What's the alternative to make the appliance dedicated outlet in garage 'not-readily accessible', other than blocking it with a fridge??
Outlet is NOT directly behind the fridge at this moment and I really don't want to move the fridge for this purpose only.

Old 08-19-02, 11:30 AM
S
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
I went back and looked at the code article that covers this, 210.8 (A) 2 Exception 2. According to the wording in that article, it is a requirement that the receptacle be located in the "dedicated" space for the appliance.

I don't see how you can get around this issue. The fact that the receptacle must be located in the dedicated space covers the fact that it should not be readily accessible. If plug it into a receptacle that is not behind the appliance it makes it too easy to come along and plug in your vacuum to do the car and then plug the fridge back in.

Here's a question: Have you tried to plug the fridge into the circuit with the present gfi in it's present location? It may work!! If you're not willing to put the fridge in front of the receptacle, this would be your only alternative.